Omair's Rimless Tank Build

Omair

I have been very busy over the past few days, and haven't had much time to work on the tank as I would have liked. Thankfully I was able to put in enough time to sand and re-paint the stand with Glossy White Oil Based paint, and then put another coat of Clear Polyacrylic finishing paint over it.

I was able to clean the tank, set it up, and run some water through it to make sure there were no leaks. I started putting together some plumbing, but I'm definitely not too happy with the setup yet. I think I'm going to sell the big Euro-Reef skimmer and get a smaller in-sump recirculating skimmer to save room for reactors, ato, and dosing pumps. I would also like to have some sort of refugium for copepods and other zooplankton. It's a mess, and a bit embarrassing but I think this setup has a lot of potential. I still need to hang my MH pendant, so much to do.

6382721111_44ddcc9c8c_b.jpg

6382732687_2e8cc92320_b.jpg

6382723633_beb4ace036_b.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will your heater fit in those tiny chambers? Also no where to add feed pumps for reactors, etc. A refugium that small is basically a gimmick. I'd get rid of it and add that area mostly to the skimmer area to accommodate other equipment. A bigger return area will also give you more time for evaporation before the pump runs dry. Even if you have an ATO, you want it to be able to run a day or two in case you are out of town for the weekend and it fails and no one is around to fix it.

Buy the cs-1 skimmer with the resirc mod tomorrow, follow my thread in the avast area on this board, I'm 90% it can be made to run external, with a very small foot print

Buy the cs-1 skimmer with the resirc mod tomorrow, follow my thread in the avast area on this board, I'm 90% it can be made to run external, with a very small foot print

Will do Jason, thanks!

Placed an order for the Avast Marine CS1 with Recirc Kit and a MR5 reactor for biopellets. Now I have to anxiously wait! I hope it isn't too hard to put together.

Edited by Omair

Working on designing a new sump/refugium. Comments/thoughts?

6390051201_0a2b72658a_z.jpg

ditch the filter sock and make a drain box instead. It makes for zero noise and zero salt splash.

How does the fuge get water? I see a fuge drain but no supply. I disagree with hypertech about it being a gimmick. Some fuge is better than no fuge. This area is also good to use for a DSB.

Edited by zygote2k

Hello folks, sorry for taking so long to update. Over the holiday weekend I decided to do this right and took advantage of the Black Friday sales. Most of these items are from Champion Lighting and Supply (20% Off), Bulk Reef Supply (15% Off) and Ready Aquatics (50% Off!) I'm still waiting on my sump/refugium from Ready Aquatics and Skimmer from Avast Marine. Below are some of the items I just received shipment on:

Ushio 400W 14K MH Bulb

AlgaeFree Tiger Shark Float

Instant Ocean Bio-Spira Bacteria

EcoTech Marine MP40W ES (Purchased from Champion Lighting & Supply for 408$!)

6439016039_f986a6a5e0_b.jpg

60LBS of Dry Rock from BRS. Pukani. I received a HUGE piece, nearly 1' long and wide! I hope to make that my show piece, with a big ledge/pillar similar to what Andy has done with his 150G MarineLand Cube. The rock is sitting in a rubber tub with a saltwater, heater and powerhead for now.

6439017473_289bf8898e_b.jpg

Pink Fiji Dry Sand. I have two bags of Live Sand coming as my top layer.

6439018739_08ebe24290_b.jpg

Must have.

6439020417_2e64947ef1_b.jpg

Where all of this is going. I have cleaned and removed all previous detrius that I could. Will do one more rinse with tap water before I plumb and get it ready to cycle.

6439039691_9eb86191f3_b.jpg

I have a slight problem. I ordered 60LBS of Pukani Dry Rock from BRS and overestimated how much rock I would receive. They sent me another package yesterday with a box full of large pieces of Pukani dry rock. I don't want to fill up my DT with just rock so I imagine I'll have some left over. Will see if I can sell remaining rock to a WAMAS member.

6447068947_5babf33a4e_b.jpg

(edited)

I actually didn't realize that Pukani was such a light, porous rock when I ordered 60LBS. I received two shipments of rock, which I'm sure equal 60LBS.

Trying to keep my plumbing simple, but I know I need to do better. I'm going to stop by Lowes today to pickup Ball Valve/Unions. I'm expecting to receive my shipment from Avast tomorrow. Putting together the skimmer will keep me busy for awhile. I'm debating to mod the skimmer for external like Jason. I'm pretty happy with the Sump/Fuge though, it's perfectly sized and gives me plenty of room in the back for electronics and reactors. I have a Mag 9.5 for the return, but I think it might be too much flow and might downgrade to 7.5. I'd like to avoid putting a ball valve on it because past experience has shown me that it causes vibrations and turbulent flow.

6453835833_119cfa0156_b.jpg

6453840125_3448410f34_b.jpg

Edited by Omair

Updated videos of the tank. Cleaned up my plumbing - added schedule 40 check valve for the return and a ball valve for the drain. Changed flex tubing to flex pvc and cemented everything together. Laid out some of my Pukani Dry Rock from BRS and started thinking of ways to aquascape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-jXThAOtw&feature=g-upl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwh-DCTXgEQ&feature=g-upl

A few updates. Tank is up and cycling now. Sand is pink samoa live sand. I stressed over the aquascaping for awhile, not sure If I'm happy with it yet. Here's a few pictures.

6526128255_1a21ee05be_b.jpg

6526133803_3b9d8e36e4_b.jpg

6526145365_e3d552f882_b.jpg

6526138009_2453983a83_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

Fazio92 stopped over last night and were able to get the plumbing redone in my tank to accomodate the new MRC Skimmer, Waste Canister, and Sump. Tank is still a bit cloudy from all the work but I hope that clears up soon.

The sump is a 29 Gallon Tank, I will be using live rock and chaeto to act as a natural barrier reef / filter in the sump.

Some pictures:

6811703735_89da510d60_b.jpg

6811733611_1761c93b7f_b.jpg

6811759511_c4963fee29_b.jpg

6811744731_fa8aae7980_b.jpg

I ended up with the MRC MR-2 Skimmer in a trade to be honest, and I'm very happy with it. It's a beast of a work horse - as long as the water level is maintained in the sump. Which it will be once I have the ATO setup properly. I like the quality of the workmanship of the unit as well as the auto-shuttoff waste container. Great all around skimmer that you can set and forget barring monthly clean up. I expect to have a very heavy bio load in my tank and wanted to play it safe.

I might go for a Avast CS2 skimmer down the road, but that will be awhile from now.

Man, looks very neat. Those MRC skimmers are beastly but a little difficult to tune as you know. Are those a couple orange sponges in the sump?

(edited)

Morning shot, lights just came on. My new colonies of Frogspawn haven't opened up fully yet. The Elegance at the bottom left is chomping down on a silverside like a boss.

Almost a little sad to break it down and start over. :P

Edited by Omair