Who runs an ATS or Algae trough filter of some type?

bprinehart

I'm considering adding an algae screen filter / trough to my current build. Just curious if anyone in the club currently runs one, has any input on their efficiency vs just macros in the sump, or thoughts on their maintenance requirements?

Thanks,

Brian

I'm seriously considering more natural methods of filtration / nutrient export with this tank, because of the types of animals I want to keep. Primarily will be looking at lagoon type LPS, zoanthids, ricordea, etc, so I will have a little wiggle room with nutrient requirements to experiment with nutrient export.

The only way that you'll see a significant difference in running an algae scrubber is if you make it large enough to handle all of the waste and nutrients for your size tank. For example- back in the day (1992) I had an ATS with dump bucket set up on a 90 reef. The ATS sat on top of a 40 breeder and the dump bucket was 10x 20 and was lit by a 400w MH on RDP. It kept the N03 at zero and back then we didn't test for P04, but I can assume that it was negligible.

The same practice goes for a fuge- it has to be large enough to handle the system. You should plan on 50% of total water volume for fuge.

(edited)

Excellent, good points for consideration zygote. So if I have a 45 cube, do you think for all practical purposes a 20 H with a DSB, and an ATS screen would provide enough filtration? This is taking into account I have approximately 30lbs of live rock in the display that displaces about 12 gallons of water.

Edited by bprinehart

• 1 month later...

I am currently running a DIY algae scrubber on my 180. I have to say I do see a difference in my tank after about four weeks. The system uses a 6"x22" screen with light from both sides. The light is from 4, 2 on each side, 3K T5HO bulbs. I have tried driving the scrubber directly from the overflow and now from a mag 9. My design is based on the SM100, but modified. I use a 1" pipe instead of the 3/4", my lights are the same distance from the algae as the SM. My center container, water box as I call it, is completely removable for easier cleaning. Anyway all my design info and theory come from algaescrubber.net if you are interested I can send you my drawings and build instructions. I was going to post them in the DIY section, but have been too busy.

As far as I remember bk_market had an algae scrubber, and he told me that it was working fine. His water looked very pristine and all the coral looked happy last time I saw his tank.

I run an algae trough above my tank. It is 5' long and 4" wide and is fed from the outflow from my skimmer. Now there is a string of LEDs an inch above it and it is filled with red hair algae but none of it is growing in my tank. In the years that it was installed it has eliminated the cycles of hair algae I would get in the main display and I would never think of removing it.

You can see it here, it is the white strip in the rear with the small LEDs over it.

IMG_1178.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

And from the feed side

Gobieggs017.jpg

Edited by paul b

• 4 weeks later...

I use a DIY ATS as well, and I found the best place to go to is Algaescrubber.net. I found all the information I needed there and I have had great success with the ATS. I am looking to even build a better one for my tank down the road.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I run an ATS and I love it. I had big problems with algae before and know I just have a little on the back glass of my tank, (and that is because I have not tuned in my ATS and over feed). If I can figure out how to post pictures from work I will show you some before and after shots of my tank.