Upgrading from a 55 to a 75g

Rosco's Reefs

Moving tank contents to temporary tanks while building the new 75 but thought I read somewhere there is danger is disturbing the existing DSB to move to the new tank...creates big algae bloom or something. I would appreciate any advice here.

Current Plan:

1. Setup two temp tanks - one 40, one 30

2. Move live rock, various softies into temp tanks

3. move clean up crew, any thing thats left

4. Build new 75, clean out 55 to serve as new sump for 75

5. Move sand bed from 55 to new 75

6. Wait X amount of time

7. Move rock, corals, and any animals back into new tank.

How big of disaster do I have coming?

thx

Roscoe

I did this successfully when setting up and moving my 180 a few years ago, moving almost 200 pounds of sand from the former owner's place to mine (in a bunch of 5 gallon buckets). Just rinse the sand really well. If you use old saltwater for the rinse, loss of benthic life (life in the sandbed) will be minimized setting up less of a cycle. If you use freshwater, rinse it really well so that you flush most of these organics out before they begin to rot.

To answer the questions asked:

1. I am moving to a bigger place, with an office\fish room

2. I will not be able to do this TOO quickly

3. Original Tank has been established for about 8 months and seemed like it took a LONG TIME to cycle the first time.

4. I didn't really want to replace the sand bed but may have to...

New question:

How do you rinse that sand ?

New question:

How do you rinse that sand ?

I've done it 2 ways, in the shower, or outside with a hose. Put the sand into 5g buckets, about half full. Then run the shower on the bucket, or a hose in the bucket outside. Stir the sand with your hand all the way to the bottom, and the water in the bucket will get cloudy. Keep doing this for 10 minutes until when you stir the sand, the water stays clear and isn't cloudy anymore. Then drain the water and add the rinsed sand to your new tank.

I've done it 2 ways, in the shower, or outside with a hose. Put the sand into 5g buckets, about half full. Then run the shower on the bucket, or a hose in the bucket outside. Stir the sand with your hand all the way to the bottom, and the water in the bucket will get cloudy. Keep doing this for 10 minutes until when you stir the sand, the water stays clear and isn't cloudy anymore. Then drain the water and add the rinsed sand to your new tank.

I've done it with the hose, just as Ryan's described. Just keep turning the sand over, rinsing out all of the light stuff and all of the particulates. Sometimes it pays to tilt the bucket some to get some of the heavier particulates out which have worked their way to the top of the sand, but are still to heavy to float right on the surface and out of the bucket in the upright position. It pays to do this in the warmest weather available, otherwise your hand freezes up too quickly.

I've done it with the hose, just as Ryan's described. Just keep turning the sand over, rinsing out all of the light stuff and all of the particulates. Sometimes it pays to tilt the bucket some to get some of the heavier particulates out which have worked their way to the top of the sand, but are still to heavy to float right on the surface and out of the bucket in the upright position. It pays to do this in the warmest weather available, otherwise your hand freezes up too quickly.

Actually, that's the reason why I've used the 2 methods. When I did the sand change in the summer, I used a hose outside, but the other time I did it, it was winter time, so I used warm water from the shower. Definitely agree the hose in cold weather will freeze your hand good!

particulates, he just means cloudy water. you'd know it when you saw it. if you lean the bucket over a bit during the process you can swoosh out the dirty water closest to the sand, you'll see it.

if too lazy, nothing wrong with buying new sand at all. this rinsing process is effectively turning old sand into new sand, so really it's like adding the same thing.

if you went the new route, i would recommend getting mostly dry sand, and 1 bag of live sand to mix in all of the dry sand. that will help speed up the cycle and seed the sand faster. (and it's cheaper than all new live sand).

Edited by Ryan S

I disagree with the practice of rinsing sand. I've been running a DSB for 4 years and I've made 3 tank upgrades in that time. I simply scoop the sand out after 90% of the water has been drained and place it into the new tank/location. Make sure not to cloud the water too much during the process and you'll be fine. All of those "particulates" are beneficial and contain millions of microorganisms to seed the sand. Some of it is detritus, but most healthy sand beds are full of detritivores.

I've noticed no significant increase in N03 after moving DSB's.

I disagree with the practice of rinsing sand. I've been running a DSB for 4 years and I've made 3 tank upgrades in that time. I simply scoop the sand out after 90% of the water has been drained and place it into the new tank/location. Make sure not to cloud the water too much during the process and you'll be fine. All of those "particulates" are beneficial and contain millions of microorganisms to seed the sand. Some of it is detritus, but most healthy sand beds are full of detritivores.

I've noticed no significant increase in N03 after moving DSB's.

This technique, when not done correctly, has wiped many a tank. I don't doubt Rob has done it successfully, but it's not something I would want to risk personally, and anyone attempting to do it, should just be aware of the risk.

Steve Outlaw should chime in.....he has switched tanks like 30 times and does it with perfection! :tongue: :rolleyes:

Edited by rrubberbandman

thx everyone for the excellent advice. I am inclined to go with the advice from zygote2k but just for safety sake, how will I know if I start getting trouble, i.e. tank gets "wiped."