What eats red hair algae?

firecrackerbob

My tank is currently infested with red hair algae and its time to re-order my CUC. I have blue legs, scarlets, and astrea in there now, but none seem to be interested. Do I just need more of them or something else??? Also, any recommendations for bubble algae eaters??

Thanks!!!

Yea I am guessing your talking about red turf algae? Its like short fuzzy wires all over the rocks right? If so get some mexican turbo snails they will clean it up within a few days. At least mine did, as long as you can keep the snails you won't see any of the algae in the tank. I only have one snail left (thanks to the pinktail I had) and its starting to show up a little bit. I think the tangs nibble on it but nothing plows through it like the mexican turbo snail does, I could see the path they leave through it when they eat.

Pics if you have them would be good, but if it's gelidium a tang should do the trick (zebramosa, and acanthurus) attack that stuff. I used to have it in my nano which was difficult because the tank wasn't big enough for a tang. Your run of the mill critters won't touch it. plus it will get out of control quick.

Thanks for the input so far!!!... heres a couple pics of the "red hair algae"... didnt think there was too many types, but maybe im off base here... Ive been thinking about a yellow tang anyway, but im currently at (below?) the minimum size with a 55gal-thoughts on this?... any other thoughts appreciated!

reIMG_6316.jpg

reIMG_6313.jpg

My tank is currently infested with red hair algae and its time to re-order my CUC. I have blue legs, scarlets, and astrea in there now, but none seem to be interested. Do I just need more of them or something else??? Also, any recommendations for bubble algae eaters??

Thanks!!!

What's the Mg in your tank? I had no end of trouble with green hair algae, and then, based on WAMAS posts and elsewhere, I raised the Mg in my tank to 1500-1600. It's been 18 months, pH, Ca, and alkalinity are more stable, hair algae left and never came back.

What's the Mg in your tank? I had no end of trouble with green hair algae, and then, based on WAMAS posts and elsewhere, I raised the Mg in my tank to 1500-1600. It's been 18 months, pH, Ca, and alkalinity are more stable, hair algae left and never came back.

I should add, that based on what's posted on the internet, elevated Mg generally seems to work well on hair algae and bryopsis. However, different species might be resistant and every tank is different so there are a fair number of people who claim it didn't help. In my case, the algae was gone within a week, coral growth seems better, and water parameters are much more stable. Raising Mg to 1500 or so might not help with the algae, but I can't recall any instances where anyone claimed it did any harm, and there are alot of posts that it did alot of good....

hmmm... havent checked my mg in a while. to be honest, its time to reorder my test kits too. I would guess on the low side though. I have never been able to maintain a PH much higher than 8.0 I typically range between 7.85-8. Ive tried just about everything for that... anyway, I will have to check into the mg issue...

what is the consensus on sea hares? doin a quick check, it sounds like there is some real downside risk if the thing dies in the tank? anyone here have any experience with them?

Edited by firecrackerbob

I had some of that. I just pulled it off the rock. It was a pain but after aggressively weeding the rocks for a week or two it has not returned.

If something eats algae, then the nutrients are returned into the tank via waste products. So the algae continues to grow even though something is eating it because algae are good scavengers.

I should have probably included some info about my system- I have a 55 display connected to a 45 that is being used as a fuge that is full of cheto. the 55 has 1 fish in it and is recovering from a crash last summer (2010) that occured after a move. I feed the chromis about once a week and let him forrage the rest of the time. I also run GFO and polyfilter as well as my fairly inneficient skimmer (aquamedic). I had assumed that by now most of the algae problems I am having with the tank would have been gone, but you know how assuming goes... still fighting red hair and bubble algae among others... its been a long year...

Since your tank does not have much in it, imho my recommendation is to starve the algae -- kill the lights in the DT but light up the chaeto 24/7. But you have to be aggressive with the water changes and weeding to remove the nitrate. While you have algae problems, I'd suggest changing the GFO media at least once a week.

Good luck!

Hair and bubble algae?sounds like the job for a foxface....

+1

Actually, any rabbitfish should eat it. I know that I had a tank full of GHA and I got a gold spotted rabbitfish.......GHA gone within a week.

• 3 years later...

So I know this is an old thread of mine, but I thought I would add some updates for anyone here who might run across this stuff.  My final verdict is in- there is only one thing that eats this stuff- turbo snails from the pacific ( which Dr Macs just so happens to sell). 

Here is a thread from the Delaware reef club that I have been writing for a while ( I moved closer to De from Annapolis a few years ago)  that has some great links on the stuff and more details about my experience with fighting this stuff.

http://delreefclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=9046.0