hitchiker ID

xyrophobic

I noticed a rider on my snail the other day. It is brown and has a lump on one end that seems to be a head though it mostly resembles a leaf. Around the edges are tiny teeth or protrusions. I attempted briefly to remove it and it seemed to be attached very well to the shell though when it is not being messed with it seems to loosen its attachment to the shell. Any ideas? Will it kill everything in my tank and then eat my dogs and family in an attempt to conquer the world? Joking I hope.

post-2632835-131455458604_thumb.jpg

It may move, though has not moved off the snail it came on, unfortunately I did not notice it when I got it. I am not sure if it has changed potions on the snail or not.

It does not seem to have a shell like a typical mollusk. I thought it was algae the first time I saw it as it is mostly flat and conforms to the shape of the snail shell except what seems to be the head. It looks more like a skate or ray than anything else.

I cannot get a good shot, I need a real camera. Thanks for the help.

post-2632835-1314557382_thumb.jpg

post-2632835-131455741008_thumb.jpg

I don't see the segmentation characteristic of a chiton. It looks to be shaped something like a limpet, though.