Just built another LED system

zygote2k

I just had to try them out. 19w no optics just piqued my curiosity. I went with 4) 12k, 2) 20k, and 2) 453nm/magenta. I put them on a 8'x2'x2' tank in an office.

With no water in the tank, they look extremely bright. Good coverage for the whole length and width of the tank. They're mounted in a flip top canopy thats only 5" tall. Each strip light comes with 2) rubber offsets that allow the heat sinks to breathe.

Sorry- forgot to bring camera today. Will post pics tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a shot from this morning-gallery_2631654_582_559827.jpg

This is only the 2) 19w Magenta/Blue strips.

FWIW, this is going on week number 2 and a very foamy AVAST skimmer.

Darren- the big rock is on the top of the left pile.

(edited)

Is this going to be a reef tank?

Of course! Is there any other type?

This is just the 3rd week running. MB7 has been added on a daily basis for the last 6 days to seed the dead base rock. Some corals went in today- Flowerpetal Monti, Purple/Green Frogspawn, Tyree toadstool. Good, easy beginner corals. I expect this tank to be yet another nice reef by Xmas time.

It's gonna be a super simple system- AVAST skimmer, Mag return, 2 Koralias, LED's, rock, water, sand, corals, fish. No fuss, no muss.

Edited by zygote2k

Looks good Rob, that must be a big tank as my rock looks tiny in there! I can't wait to see how the corals look with the blue / magenta combo you are running......

Darren

They claim to be 40% better than the original, and they claim with the reflectors it doubles that.. I agree that the first gen were kind of weak, hopefully these will be better..

I have not seen the pro series yet, but par is disappointing to say the least on the regular panorama modules.

Here's my take on PAR ratings- I tested the par on various leds and depending on how you held the meter, where you placed it under the emitter made drastically different readings. I think that using PAR meters to rate output of leds is not the right way to measure them because we're just comparing them to mh or t5's. I have a single Panorama 12w light illuminating my fuge/frag tank/ dsb area and it's certainly enough light to grow softies and anemones.

In the case of the 240, it's very bright inside the tank and I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that it will grow SPS, clams, LPS, etc just fine. It's really all about water quality and stable parameters more than anything else. With ideal water chem, a 40w Triton bulb will grow lotsa corals just fine- that's how we rolled back in the day.

• 3 weeks later...

The MB7 has completely cycled the tank and is now showing nitrate. Skimmer and ATO are now dialed in too.

The corals that I put in 3 weeks ago are showing signs of growth. Flower petal monti 16" below the lights has a fresh white ring of growth about 1/8".

Frogspawn and Tyree Toadstool growing too. I even introduced some red flatworms that cover all of my mushrooms and leathers. Plenty of pods already too.