Fish ideas for a nano

steveoutlaw

Well, I'm down to a 34g Solana and I'm ready to stock it. I've pretty much got the rockwork and corals the way that I want them and I'm ready to stock it with fish. The only thing that I kept from the big tank were 2 clowns. I'd like to be able to keep 5-6 additional fish but would like to go with something unique (unique doesn't necessarily mean expensive). Anyway, I would apreciate any ideas you may have for stocking this thing.

(edited)

I'm definately set on a wrasse, but i'm not sure which one yet. I like the 6 lines but I'm really wanting to go with some unusual and unique choices.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Edited by steveoutlaw

So glad you asked this question as we are going to be setting up our new Red Sea Max 34g next week and have been giving this question a lot of thought.

I have 3 bartlett anthias hanging out in Jon's frag tank waiting for the tank to be ready, and think I want a pair of clowns, a wrasse, a goby and shrimp buddy pair, and a neon goby pair. I'm also fantasizing about a pipe fish after seeing one in Roni's tank, but not sure, and not sure how much of this list will actually end up in the tank or if while out window-fish-shopping something will catch my eye and make me rethink the plan.

Do you have a picture of your 34? Would love to see how you are setting it up.

Maureen

Maureen-

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to get a goby/shrimp pair as well, but not sure if I can because I have a cleaner shrimp and a harlequin shrimp. I love the idea of pipefish but tried them once and they didn't last too long.

Here is a quick pick of the tank right now. It's a little cloudy because I'm adding sugarfine sand to the current substrate:

34gSolana001.jpg

(*) = unique and colorful

(*)Hi fin banded goby

(*)Orange strip prawn goby

Court Jester Goby

Green clown goby

Green banded goby

Cintrinis clown goby

Hectors goby

Yellow clown goby

Red spotted goby

(*)Red stripped goby

(*)Tanakas Pigmy wrasse

Orange lined cardinalfish

(*)Yellow banded posssum wrasse

(*)White banded possum

(*)Yellow stripe clingfish

Sexy shrimp

Pom pom crab

(*)Yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp

Edited by Jan

^^ LOL Jan, you kind of just described the contents of my 24, which I LOVE:

Tangaroa goby with tiger pistol shrimp

Tail spot blenny

Rainford (Court Jester) goby

Spinyhead blenny

Pom pom crab

Peppermint cleaner shrimp

Porcelein crab

White banded possum wrasse (RIP - such a great fish!)

Priolepis goby

Also used to have a geometric pygmy hawkfish - cool little fish that did great with these inhabitants.

I have a large randall (orange stripe prawn) goby with a tiger pistol in my 24 gallon seahorse tank - a model inhabitant as well.

Maureen-

Thanks for the suggestions. I wanted to get a goby/shrimp pair as well, but not sure if I can because I have a cleaner shrimp and a harlequin shrimp. I love the idea of pipefish but tried them once and they didn't last too long.

Here is a quick pick of the tank right now. It's a little cloudy because I'm adding sugarfine sand to the current substrate:

34gSolana001.jpg

Steve,

I think the tank is looking great, I really like your rock work.

Maureen

Jan - Wow......thanks for the ideas!! I'll check them out.

Hilary - Where you been stranger? I'm going to check the ones you mention out as well.

Rob - Not sure about a school of firefish, but I'm definitely thinking about a pair.

Maureen - Thanks. The rockwork is actually a lot more open then can be seen in the pic. I made sure there were lots of caves and overhangs. I need to do a tank build thread when I get around to it.

YW - forgot Zebra catalina goby. Pretty, unique and very colorful. I want one.

Jan - Wow......thanks for the ideas!! I'll check them out.

Hilary - Where you been stranger? I'm going to check the ones you mention out as well.

Rob - Not sure about a school of firefish, but I'm definitely thinking about a pair.

Maureen - Thanks. The rockwork is actually a lot more open then can be seen in the pic. I made sure there were lots of caves and overhangs. I need to do a tank build thread when I get around to it.

Edited by Jan

The fish in your tank, particularly the white banded possum wrasse, is what gave me the idea for the search. Love that wrasse!

^^ LOL Jan, you kind of just described the contents of my 24, which I LOVE:

Tangaroa goby with tiger pistol shrimp

Tail spot blenny

Rainford (Court Jester) goby

Spinyhead blenny

Pom pom crab

Peppermint cleaner shrimp

Porcelein crab

White banded possum wrasse (RIP - such a great fish!)

Priolepis goby

Also used to have a geometric pygmy hawkfish - cool little fish that did great with these inhabitants.

I have a large randall (orange stripe prawn) goby with a tiger pistol in my 24 gallon seahorse tank - a model inhabitant as well.

Well, so far I have:

Pair of True Percs (hosting in my frogspawn)

Bangaii Cardinal

6 Line Wrasse

Yellow Watchman Goby

I'm going to chill for now but am still thinking of adding a couple more.

• 2 weeks later...

Working on narrowing down my fish wish list Steve and wondering if you're considering putting a pistol shrimp in with your yellow watchman goby, or do you have to buy them together as a pair for them to pair up?

Maureen

It's hit or miss when it comes to pairing pistol shrimip and watchman goby. I added a pistol shrimp over a year ago to my tank and placed it in the same spot where my goby burrowed. The pistol shrimp ended up on the other side of the tank and they never paired. I added a pistol shrimp that was paired with a watchman goby from someone else and both watchman gobys found each other and stayed with the pistol shrimp. I had to take the new goby out of the tank, the one that came paired with the shrimp, and my old goby hasn't left the shrimps side. It's best to purchase them already paired or purchase a pair of watchman gobys and then the pistol shrimp. That's my experience.

Working on narrowing down my fish wish list Steve and wondering if you're considering putting a pistol shrimp in with your yellow watchman goby, or do you have to buy them together as a pair for them to pair up?

Maureen

It's hit or miss when it comes to pairing pistol shrimip and watchman goby. I added a pistol shrimp over a year ago to my tank and placed it in the same spot where my goby burrowed. The pistol shrimp ended up on the other side of the tank and they never paired. I added a pistol shrimp that was paired with a watchman goby from someone else and both watchman gobys found each other and stayed with the pistol shrimp. I had to take the new goby out of the tank, the one that came paired with the shrimp, and my old goby hasn't left the shrimps side. It's best to purchase them already paired or purchase a pair of watchman gobys and then the pistol shrimp. That's my experience.

Thanks much Jan, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Will look for a pre-mated pair instead of individuals. Now I just have to wait for the right "couple".

Maureen

Maureen

I'd like to eventually get a pistol shrimp to pair with it, but not sure if I can keep one since I have a cleaner shrimp and a harlequin shrimp in there. That would be an aweful lot of shrimp for a 34g.

I'd like to eventually get a pistol shrimp to pair with it, but not sure if I can keep one since I have a cleaner shrimp and a harlequin shrimp in there. That would be an aweful lot of shrimp for a 34g.

Steve,

I've been researching some more on this topic and found a forum on ReefSanctuary.com that says that: 1) A shrimp can be added to a goby separately. It is recommended that the shrimp be dropped directly over the goby's hole. If they don't find each other, drop the shrimp again every week until they do, or after 6 months give it up. 2) a tiger shrimp can co-exist with a cleaner shrimp. Did not read anything regarding a harlequin.

I'm still hoping to find a coupled pair for sale.

Maureen

Steve,

I've been researching some more on this topic and found a forum on ReefSanctuary.com that says that: 1) A shrimp can be added to a goby separately. It is recommended that the shrimp be dropped directly over the goby's hole. If they don't find each other, drop the shrimp again every week until they do, or after 6 months give it up. 2) a tiger shrimp can co-exist with a cleaner shrimp. Did not read anything regarding a harlequin.

I'm still hoping to find a coupled pair for sale.

Maureen

Maureen-

Thanks for the info. My goby already has his hole dug and just hangs out so I may give it a try with the Tiger shrimp just to see what happens.

I would keep checking with BRK........you can probably even give John a call and tell him to order you one.

Steve