Fish Room Ideas

roni

Sorry to drag this thread up from the dead but I now need some advice on where to go with my fish room. I did my room in green board, mudded, taped, sanded etc. I was going to just slap Kilz2 Latex primer on there and leave it. It's pure white and I don't really care about how it looks. Is this the way to go? The label says that its "water/stain resistant" and everything I've done with it the water just beads off.

Also the room I converted into my fishroom has tile on the floor. BUT the tile is really old and contains asbestos so I can't rip it up, crack it, etc. The tile isnt the smoothest as it's like 15+ years old and I'm worried about trying to level my stand on it.

Finally, what is a good silicone to do the seams between the green board and the tile floor with?

Thanks everyone!

Sorry to drag this thread up from the dead but I now need some advice on where to go with my fish room. I did my room in green board, mudded, taped, sanded etc. I was going to just slap Kilz2 Latex primer on there and leave it. It's pure white and I don't really care about how it looks. Is this the way to go? The label says that its "water/stain resistant" and everything I've done with it the water just beads off.

Also the room I converted into my fishroom has tile on the floor. BUT the tile is really old and contains asbestos so I can't rip it up, crack it, etc. The tile isnt the smoothest as it's like 15+ years old and I'm worried about trying to level my stand on it.

Finally, what is a good silicone to do the seams between the green board and the tile floor with?

Thanks everyone!

For the floor you could maybe put some thinset concrete to level it out. This will force you to raise it in that area. Not sure if that presents any issues. Also, you want to check the strength of the thinset to ensure it won't crack.

For the caulk between the board and the floor I would use dow corning 795 http://www.dowcorning.com/applications/search/products/Details.aspx?prod=01595717

I think the latex primer would be fine as well.

wanted to pop this up again...would people recommend something like kilz primer versus a behr primer plus paint? The walls are going to be white. Also, any thoughts on painting the concrete floor? I picked up some garage paint in grey and was planning on just painting it after washing the floor thoroughly to get rid of residual dust from the concrete (since new concrete was used to put in the floor drain).

Thanks everyone!

Traditionally a primer does not provide the sealing protection and washability that a top coat offers. There are some paints that are a combo of a top coat with a primer property mixed.

wanted to pop this up again...would people recommend something like kilz primer versus a behr primer plus paint? The walls are going to be white. Also, any thoughts on painting the concrete floor? I picked up some garage paint in grey and was planning on just painting it after washing the floor thoroughly to get rid of residual dust from the concrete (since new concrete was used to put in the floor drain).

As long as you don't have any water or ink stains that need to be covered the Behr product would be just fine. Top coats don't go well over new walls, mud joints and patches. The Behr plus paint primes the mud and walls, and helps hide existing paints but isn't as good on existing stain coverage as Kilz.

I've used the rustoleum garage floor epoxy paint on basement floors with no issues. Just clean it well to remove any previously spilled products like oil that might prevent the epoxy from penetrating. Make sure to mix really well and let the mixed epoxy sit for at least 30 minutes or what is on the label before using it.

Traditionally a primer does not provide the sealing protection and washability that a top coat offers. There are some paints that are a combo of a top coat with a primer property mixed.

As long as you don't have any water or ink stains that need to be covered the Behr product would be just fine. Top coats don't go well over new walls, mud joints and patches. The Behr plus paint primes the mud and walls, and helps hide existing paints but isn't as good on existing stain coverage as Kilz.

I've used the rustoleum garage floor epoxy paint on basement floors with no issues. Just clean it well to remove any previously spilled products like oil that might prevent the epoxy from penetrating. Make sure to mix really well and let the mixed epoxy sit for at least 30 minutes or what is on the label before using it.

thanks dave. It's a brand new wall so no stains. It looks like I know what I'll be doing this weekend :)

based on my experience repainting almost my entire house after moving in: green board or not, I think that the new wall is gonna soak up paint like a sponge, so I'd get the primer. Paint sticks better to primer and the color shows up better against primer and it will reduce the number of coats you will have to do. Also, primer is much cheaper than paint.

just my $0.02

thanks everyone, heading to home depot to pick up paint. going to go with garage paint for the floor and kilz2 + paint for the walls. hopefully will be done by next week sometime.

if its drywall (greenboard you're painting) i'd recommend Kilz Pro-X P10 over Kilz 2+, Kilz Pro-X is ment specifically for drywall. It's what I just finished painting my fishroom with and its great.

thanks everyone, heading to home depot to pick up paint. going to go with garage paint for the floor and kilz2 + paint for the walls. hopefully will be done by next week sometime.

Excited to see your fish room in person when it is done!

M

Excited to see your fish room in person when it is done!

M

the prelim stuff is done. Picked up some rustoleum 2 part for the floor and some kilz2 plus blue paint for the walls.

Hopefully will get some stands for the sumps done soon :)

Max, appreciate the suggestion. We're also doing a bathroom that needs wallpaper stripped and buying the 2 gallon of Kilz2 was cheaper then getting 2 different primers, and the Kilz2 does the same job as the other primer, just costs a little more since it can cover stains and other such things (at least that's what was explained to me).