Tom's 11.4 Reef Build

Also, picked up some nice frags today from Der ABT. Picked up some strawberry shortcake, red planet, green psammocora, blue table, and tricolor valida. I got a decent shot of the psammocora but I'll need to give the others a day or two to shed their slime and come out.

DSC_0157.jpg

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really slick looking tank...love the aquascape and looks like you have a really nice and clean setup underneath.

cant wait to see the corals in it, Was good to meet you and hopefully ill see you again in the future.

Evan

Thanks Evan! I'll post some pics of the frags - psammocora looks great, the others need a day or two to shed the slime and open up. I'll be posting!

Trying to learn the whole aquarium photography thing....working with a Nikon D40 - any tips on how to make it not so blue? The light is whiter in real life.

FTS:

DSC_0205.jpg

I brought over some purple monti cap frags from my old tank. I may put a small piece out on the side but trade the rest away. Also there is what's rest of the tort.

A washed-out bubblegum acro I got from Graham:

DSC_0193.jpg

Strawberry shortcake:

DSC_0186.jpg

Pink mille:

DSC_0182.jpg

Psammocora again:

DSC_0173.jpg

Light blue table. This one is brown but will hopefully color up well as it matures:

CSC_0185.jpg

Red planet:

CSC_0171.jpg

Cheers

Thanks Ron!

The green slimer started encrusting:

2.jpg

What I was able to save from my tort. Polyps are coming in green, sorry this pic is out of focus:

1.jpg

I believe this is ORA Joe the Coral, fresh in from Mr Coral:

3.jpg

I did run into one problem which I've been putting off for a couple of weeks, which was mounting the controller for the MP10. Since I'll be converting my first generation MP10 to the wireless version, and using the Profilux controller, I needed all three mounted in the same area. The problem was that I only had two hole drilled into the back to run wires. So I had to disassemble the controller, disconnect the wires, run them through the holes, and then reconnect and mount.

Here's what you see when the back is removed:

DSC_01802.jpg

Quick disconnect:

DSC_01812.jpg

Back together after running the wires:

DSC_01822.jpg

Mounted and running:

DSC_01852.jpg

The controller is mounted farther to the back, which is hard to reach, but the second controller and Profilux control unit will be mounted further to the front. Since it will all be controlled via the Profilux, it's not a huge inconvenience to have it harder to reach.

Edited by tpallas

You need to fill your pipe completely with sand before trying to bend it. It will prevent the buckling issue. Just cap one end, fill with sand, leave the other end uncapped.

I brought over this coral on the 21st and it was very green:

DSCF0480.jpg

And has now colored up to:

DSC_0158.jpg

I knew this was one of Graham's, at first I thought think, now lavendar.

• 2 weeks later...

The SWC 120 is really starting to come into its own:

DSC_0158-1.jpg

And, a nice surprise from GHL waiting for me when I got home:

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0157-1.jpg

I'll post more after I get it up and running.

Thats an odd looking controller, you've got to be one of the only people I know trying to cram more stuff into a smaller space than I am, looking good. THat aqua scape is SICK!

First stage of setup of unit, getting the basic connections down.

First, positioned the unit in its tentative spot:

DSC_0159-1.jpg

Prepare to install the temperature sensor:

DSC_0160-1.jpg

Which is plugged into the marked temperature connection in the rear:

DSC_01552.jpg

This is the pH sensor. The instructions indicate that the unit may misread if not mounted vertical, so I will wait for my sump before calibration and installation:

DSC_01562.jpg

Next, the AI control cable:

DSC_01572.jpg

DSC_01582.jpg

I'll leave the USB cable for connection to my laptop permanently connected and hanging off the back of the stand, so all I have to do is reach around and grab it to connect:

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0164-1.jpg

The PAB cable, for connection to the Powerbar:

DSC_01592.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

Last but not least the power supply cable:

DSC_0165.jpg

DSC_0166.jpg

All the connections that I'm using this time in place:

DSC_0167-1.jpg

Unit installed and ready for basic programming:

DSC_0173-1.jpg

Next up, programming the light cycles.

Thats an odd looking controller, you've got to be one of the only people I know trying to cram more stuff into a smaller space than I am, looking good. THat aqua scape is SICK!

Thanks! It IS a tight fit....but it's coming together! I need to do some serious cable management behind the stand.

You got an early Christmas present with that Profilux controller. That is easily one of (if not) the best controller out there if you can afford it. Are you getting the touch screen accessory?

Here's how I programmed the controller. The software is downloadable from the GHL website. I used the included USB cable for connection, but the eventual plan is to get this thing online and do it wirelessly.

The first part of the setup is (besides setting the time, date, and location) programming what I want the unit display to show. I elected the following:

Display.jpg

Next, you have to go into the special lamps section and let the controller know you're using Aquailluminations lights, which set to light channels 1, 2, and 3. It took some tinkering to figure out that 1 was royal blue, 2 was blue, and 1 was white.

Speciallamp.jpg

Then I programmed the times on each individual channel. I elected to have a main period of intensity from 10:00 - 6:00, with appropriate ramp up/down times for the blues, and the royal blues serving as the moonlights. Here's all three together:

Illumination.jpg

Finally I set the cloud, moonphase, and rainstorm simulation parameters:

Simulation.jpg

Thunderstorm.jpg

It's taken a bit of tinkering, but I definitely like the ease and options available with the Profilux available over the stock AI controller.

Looks awesome! Im loving how clean every thing looks. What controller did you end up going with?

Thanks Prime! I eventually settled on the GHL Profilux 3. I like the flexibility, looks, and accessories available. So far I'm pretty pleased.

You got an early Christmas present with that Profilux controller. That is easily one of (if not) the best controller out there if you can afford it. Are you getting the touch screen accessory?

I do love it! I am REALLY tempted by the touch screen controller....but first I really need to get one of their dosing units and Vortech control units. Need to find a big bag of money on the roadside somewhere...

WHere is/what is your ATO container?

I'll post a picture here in a minute. Right now it's an ugly Home Depot 5 gallon bucket. Need to get a top on it and hide it in a nice hamper or something.