Tom's 11.4 Reef Build

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

everyone looks soooo happy!

They are! With the Prodibio I can pretty much feed them all they can eat without having to worry about excess nutrients. Everyone eats like a pig.

Love your tank! Makes me want to down grade.

Thanks man. For whatever reason....I've always loved small tanks, and my dream has been to set up a pimped out 10g. This is it....to me there is something of a challenge to creating a small, beautiful tank.

Just other things I've been working on....I switched out the AquaIlluminations 40 degree optics with 70 degree optics. Wow, what a difference! On a tank this small, with the light so close, the 40 degree optics create a death ray that fries anything in its path. I switched out to 70 degrees, mounted the light on a tree, and increased the intensity - big difference. White frags are starting to get their colors back and overall growth and coloration is better. Not sure the 40 degree optics are really necessary unless you have a deep tank.

I also finished setting up the Profilux dosing unit. Life is MUCH easier. The alk output tube (I believe) does tend to build up crust which can eventually clog the line, so it's not quite as carefree as I had hoped, but certainly more consistent and easy than manually dosing. One problem I am running into is the buildup of air bubbles into the line, which is problematic when the dosing amounts are so small. I believe it must be coming in from the connections on the dosing unit line to the silicone line - has anyone run into this problem before? I believe the solution may be to tighten down the connections with very small wire ties.

Cheers

Tom,

If you're now getting bored with how well put together your setup is, you're welcome to shoot down and make my fish room look like your cabinet :)

Tom,

If you're now getting bored with how well put together your setup is, you're welcome to shoot down and make my fish room look like your cabinet :)

Thanks Roni! If I find a large bag of cash on the street, I will certainly come do that.

new pictures please... would love to see how the new optics look :)

I think the latest FTS taken above was with the 70 degrees. But I did move the deresa to the back which looks much better, so I'll take another FTS tomorrow to show how it looks. In the meantime here are some others I took this week.

Now that I have a decent bioload again and back to Prodibio dosing, I'm getting very consistent skimmate from the SWC. I bet on a bigger tank it would be much greener, but not bad considering how small this tank is:

DSC_0165-1.jpg

Here's a shot of my green slimer. Has colored up and started encrusting much better, but no growth. Basically, I think it wasn't getting enough light. I ramped up the whites to 60% and we'll see how that goes....much better now that the 40 degree optics aren't frying everything in their path. In all I should be getting better growth from a slimer, so I'm just waiting for it to take off:

DSC_0171-1.jpg

Finally the full setup. I'm moving to a new apartment next month, so the tank will fortunately no longer be in my bedroom. Not really looking forward to the move but I will have it out in the living room:

DSC_0188.jpg

ahh now you have to share it with EVERYONE!

And no more moonlights to keep me up at night! I keep on praying for the 0% moon cycle. Even at a couple of percentage points it's still kindof bright.

Not much new to report, was able to pick up some chaeto so I got the fuge running on reverse cycle. Also stopped by Petland today. Picked up some zoas and polyps as I'd like to have the bottom covered in them.

Latest FTS:

DSC_0164-2.jpg

The start of my polyp bed:

DSC_0168.jpg

Right side:

DSC_0166-2.jpg

Left side:

DSC_0167-3.jpg

New cap:

DSC_0169-1.jpg

Close-up of Tyree tricolor, ORA borealis (needs to color up) and ORA purple nana:

DSC_0171-2.jpg

Here's about a week's worth of skimmate from the SWC 120. This thing is a beast! Very glad I chose this over the Tunze nano:

DSC_0172-2.jpg

looking good. will have to aggressively prune those sps once they take off...or let them decide dominance through chemical warfare :)

You got that right Roni! My plan is to frag my way to a Radion :biggrin: .

I love the last shot with the six line. They have the best facial expressions.

Beautiful pics!

Edited by YiatzOfEden

I love the last shot with the six line. They have the best facial expressions.

Beautiful pics!

Thanks! Good equipment makes it easy!

Picked up some new corals from BRK today. Rainbow monti, LA Laker cap, darth maul porites, and a cool birdsnest. I'll need to take pics of the last 2 when I get my tripod up.

DSC_0195-1.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0212.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the progressin shots. Saw your moving this month what's your plan on breaking this down and re setting it up? It's always a bear to do this no matter the tank size.

• 2 weeks later...

Loved the progressin shots. Saw your moving this month what's your plan on breaking this down and re setting it up? It's always a bear to do this no matter the tank size.

Thanks Ted! Just moved this weekend. I moved the tank with my 95 lb girlfriend on Friday. It was an experience for sure. First I turned everything off and disconnected the plumbing, then drained most of the water out of the display. Then I moved the tank down to the floor and added water back in. I then decided to move the rock in the tank as one piece instead of breaking it down as I had originally planned.

Next, drained as much water as I could out of the sump. Placed the stand on a dolly and hauled it down the street (only moved a block or so), with a trail of saltwater following us the entire way. Then came back for the tank which I emptied to the bare minimum to keep the fish and clams OK. The corals had a bit of an dry trip, but I got the tank to the stand, re-connected the plumbing, and got the tank going again. Glad to report that everything survived and nothing broke! Hard to do better than that. Not so sure my girlfriend will be excited about moving the tank again.

Wow, that is an adventure. At least you had good weather this weekend. Glad to hear it went well. Ever need to do it again give a shout out if I'm not busy would be glad to help your just around the corner.

Thanks Ted! Just moved this weekend. I moved the tank with my 95 lb girlfriend on Friday. It was an experience for sure. First I turned everything off and disconnected the plumbing, then drained most of the water out of the display. Then I moved the tank down to the floor and added water back in. I then decided to move the rock in the tank as one piece instead of breaking it down as I had originally planned.

Next, drained as much water as I could out of the sump. Placed the stand on a dolly and hauled it down the street (only moved a block or so), with a trail of saltwater following us the entire way. Then came back for the tank which I emptied to the bare minimum to keep the fish and clams OK. The corals had a bit of an dry trip, but I got the tank to the stand, re-connected the plumbing, and got the tank going again. Glad to report that everything survived and nothing broke! Hard to do better than that. Not so sure my girlfriend will be excited about moving the tank again.

When your girlfriend helps you move your tank and doesn't complain a lot, you know you've got a good one :)

Glad to hear everything went smoothly.

Roni, yeah, that's the truth....although she did ask if I might be more interested in something like stamp collecting!

I'll post some pics soon....I'm giving serious thought to switching over to a Radion....