Tom's 11.4 Reef Build

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm really like this setup. Very nice. Is there enough room in the sump if power goes out?

Thanks! Yours is a timely question as I have a scheduled power outage tonight for 8 hours (glad the tank isnt stocked yet). The short answer is yes. I moved the return nozzle (locline) near to the surface of the water so there is minimal return back to the sump when the power goes out.

Water is clear and I added the rocks. It's going to take a little more positioning to get them just right, then I'll set the arch in with epoxy. Also added a seed piece of rock I picked up from the Marine Scene this afternoon.

DSCF0451.jpg

That is one sharp looking tank. Sooooooooo clean. Good work.

It might just be the angle, but is the rock on the left against the glass? Might be an issue for cleaning. Just a thought. Still love it.

Ron

Thanks Ron! You are right, that rock was leaning up against the side of the tank. It took me about two hours, a lot of epoxy, and a lot of curses to get the arch just how I wanted it. Here's how it came out - it's curing now:

DSCF0453.jpg

Not sure what I'll do with the little piece of seed rock in the center. My plan was to put a piece of purple table acro where the rock is upwelling from the sand, flanked by Croceas. Perhaps I'll put that rock on the upper left hand side to balance it out.

Cheers

Tom

I mounted the AI fixture on the included legs. I'll be making a light tree from bent conduit, but I wanted to see how it looks and get the timer working. It's a great light. Here it is (need to get a SLR):

DSCF0458.jpg

The oolite needs some time to develop cohesion and not get blown around so much, but overall I like it very much. It's very clean looking and looks great in the light.

My SWC 120 keeps on overflowing each time I plug it in, but I suspect this is due to using so much epoxy earlier in the week and running no carbon.

Other than that, it's just playing the waiting game.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks Great!!

Thanks!

I stopped by the Marine Scene today and picked up the MP10:

DSCF0461.jpg

DSCF0462.jpg

DSCF0466.jpg

Also picked up a pair of black clowns and a piece of green slimer. I moved some SPS from my old tank, lost a few pieces which I think is due to alk shock (alk must be much lower on the old tank), but stil have some good pieces. Once I get a decent camera up I'll post pics of the livestock.

Cheers

Tom

Got the Osmolator and Prodibio in the mail today from Marine Depot:

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0492.jpg

DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0493.jpg

Bad attempt at an FTS. Still need to get a better camera. These frags were moved from my 40g cube which I haven't been able to give much attention over the past couple of months and is close to being shut down:

DSCF0469.jpg

Here's a green slimer frag I picked up from the Marine Scene yesterday:

DSCF0474.jpg

I got this shaggy green mille from Graham who has a great tank. Unfortunately it lost most of its shagginess and greenness in my 40g. Hopefully will return to its former glory in this tank:

DSCF0477.jpg

This was, I believe, a purple or pink mille. Recovered from brown and now into green....hopefully the next few months will see its return to true colors:

DSCF0480.jpg

Also got this piece from Graham, I believe it's a purple tort. It RTN'd a little bit when I first moved it in, but I think it has slowed or stopped. I really like this piece, quick grower and very hardy, hope it stays. Second pic is with flash to show receding flesh:

DSCF0490.jpg

DSCF0491.jpg

Overall the colors leave a lot to be desired but I hope they recover well in this tank.

Next up is installing the ATO with the topoff water bucket hidden.

Cheers

Tom

(edited)

Finalizing my list for the rest of the corals - let me know if you have frags!!!

- Purple monster

- Rainbow delight

- Strawberry shortcake

- Tricolor valida

- Purple plasma

- Something yellow?

Cheers!

Tom

Edited by tpallas

Installed the Osmolator today.

Positioned the controller:

DSCF0499.jpg

Assembled the holding magnet. This is a drastic improvement over the old mounting rails:

DSCF0501.jpg

Installed the magnet and water line. Forgive the messy sump:

DSCF0502.jpg

We're in business:

DSCF0505.jpg

Really nice clean setup! I can't wait to see this tank in one year after everything has grown in. Did you finalize your fish list yet?

Thanks Roni! Right now I'm just at the two black clowns. I'm not sure how much further I'll go from there, but it may just be a very small goby or two.

Unfortunately I had to frag up my tort as the tissue started to rapidly recede. The recession stopped on all the other corals and the polyp extension looks good.

Here's the two clowns, they're healthy and eating well:

DSCF0516.jpg

I'm still learning how to adjust the pictures to look better and my camera is not so great, but this isn't a bad representation.

My next project is to convert a first generation MP10 I have to the wireless controller so I can synch the two up.

Cheers

love the clowns ;) sorry to hear about your tort. I had the same thing happen to mine last time I had one. bummer since they grow so slowly.

Thanks Roni! The little piece I was able to save looks really healthy. I'll take pics of it at 30 day intervals to document the growth.

I took advantage of the deal that GHL is offering on the Profilux 3 controller and ordered a package. I also swung by Home Depot this evening and picked up some conduit, a bender, and some assorted hardware to build the light tree....I'll document that, let's hope it doesn't become a debacle!

Cheers

It looks so nice! I'm loving the aquascaping. Doesnt look like its just 11G. So open! :D

What kinda epoxy did you use? Something I could pick up a HD? Will it eventually be covered with something or will the "grey" always be there?

Glad to see it up and running. How was installing the tunze osm?

Thanks Prime! There's lots of real estate for frags while leaving lots of space on the sandbed for a nice clean white look (and some clams). I'm really happy with it.

I used both Marco cement for the scaping and underwater epoxy....you can buy a stick from a LFS or online. I also remember a member selling at one of the frag fests.

The Osmolator is really easy to install now with the magnet mount. Just attach the sensors to the assembly and put the magnet where you want it at water level.

It looks so nice! I'm loving the aquascaping. Doesnt look like its just 11G. So open! :D

What kinda epoxy did you use? Something I could pick up a HD? Will it eventually be covered with something or will the "grey" always be there?

Glad to see it up and running. How was installing the tunze osm?

Really slick looking tank...love the aquascape and looks like you have a really nice and clean setup underneath.

cant wait to see the corals in it, Was good to meet you and hopefully ill see you again in the future.

Evan

Made an attempt at making the light tree tonight.

Assembled the implements of doom:

DSCF0530.jpg

Measured carefully, with the bender at 5" lower than the desired height:

DSCF0531.jpg

First bend good:

DSCF0532.jpg

Second bend good:

DSCF0533.jpg

Cutting off the end:

DSCF0534.jpg

The end result:

DSCF0535.jpg

Here's what happened...I made the two bends successfully, obviously, but when I lined it up against the tank, the horizontal bar was too far forward by about 3 inches. The entire bend, from the back of the stand to the middle of the aquarium, needs to be accomplished in 9 inches. Is this too short a distance for 1/2" conduit? Or did I do something wrong?

I suppose my other two options would be to make two L-shaped pieces and have them come up from behind, or add a piece of spacer wood to the back of the stand (which I'd rather not do because it would limit tank access).

Cheers