Tanks at 3 levels questions

I already have the "Reef Upstairs" and big fuge downstairs running fine. I'm think of adding another piece to the setup as illustrated. I think I have the power-on and the power off question answered. As far as evaporation goes, the fluctuation will be in the "addition" which is at the lowest level; right? The return pump at the lowest level will be small, I don't think this changes much. I will start and maintain everything with the lowest level tank few inches low to handle power failure. What do you guys think?

3 tank setup.bmp

(edited)

make sure you factor in one pump failing but not the other. Depending on the bulkhead/overflow levels on the middle tank, you might be able to overflow the lower tank if the lower pump fails but upper one is on.

Edited by DaveS

Guest thefishman65

Also watch for a lower pump failure and the higher one going dry. You may have problems with two overflows in the second tank.

Like fishman said I wonder about the 2 overflows in the fuge. If more water drains to the new addition will enough water drain to the return in the fuge/skimmer area?

You might be better off just placing a large return in the new addition and have that pump to the upstairs reef, then gravity would flow everything back to new addition. This would probably require you to change the fuge set up around though.

I don't see anything wrong with the setup, just make sure the sump has enough capacity so it doesn't overflow.

Also watch for a lower pump failure and the higher one going dry. You may have problems with two overflows in the second tank.

If the lower pump fails wouldn't the water just circulate between the middle and upper tanks.

Coral Hind makes a good point, be careful that the bottom tank can handle all of the overflow from the two tanks in case of a power outtage....

I don't see anything wrong with the setup, just make sure the sump has enough capacity so it doesn't overflow.

If the lower pump fails wouldn't the water just circulate between the middle and upper tanks.