MP40w Dryside bearing noise...anyone up for new b

Der ABT

Well recently had my mp40w dryside on my used pump(yeh the expensive side) start making a ton of noise, almost a clicking sound regardless of speed and also when it was seperated from the wetside (not the whirring sound of a misaligned wetside).

So after some quick browsing im pretty sure its some old bearings on the dryside.....basically like a wheel bearing on a car. it has nothign to do with the wetside so if you are able to run the dryside in your hand not attached to anything and it makes noise this is for you.

found this link to an RC link (yeh the evil site)

Dryside bearing replacement

I have not clue how it will work and would be happy to post up before and after. but seems like others have done this successfully. If you have a warranty this is not for you as it will void the warranty, as mine are used and over a year old doesnt matter to me

there is a risk of damage to the magnet inside the dryside and im sure other things as well so it may end up costing me in the end but it seems like a fairly simple fix.

If i cant find a press in my assortment of tools or from my mechanic ill be ordering a tool most likely as well that i would be happy to lend out.

But thought i would see if anyone else has this issue here prior to ordering as id be happy to include others in what i guess is a group buy (so if this is the wrong forum sorry mods I just figured the info would be good as a general discussion

I plan on doing this soon, probably in about 2-3 weeks so I may try to order next week. looks like its about 20-30 dollars in bearings/shipping so not too expensive, im waiting to hear back from EcoTech to see how much it would be if i sent it to them instead and will update when I hear back.

Just let me know by posting on here, my pm box is getting waaaay to full so please dont pm for this. Ill start a new GB thread if there is enough interest/others with the same problem

I've not had this problem but take good notes and lots of pictures, post them here and I'll move this thread to the DIY forum. How's that sound?

ahh thas where i should have put it, thanks Tom

Ill be sure to take pics and a video for before and after comparison. Pretty simple from the looks of things and most likely it will happen to everyone at some point down the road as bearing are a wear item.

I like that the original poster on the RC thread found his unit "dead silent" after the bearing replacement.

BTW, those bearings look just like the kind we used to use on skates and skateboards back in the day.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this old thread. Evan and I are looking for anyone else who is interested. One of my 2 MP40w's had a loud dry side. Ecotech said they'd recommend replacing the dry side and won't repair it. Since the new dry side is more than what I paid for the MP40w itself, it's time to try fixing the bearing on my own!

Evan is willing to order them in for us. The price will be about $20-$30 per bearing. Cheaper with more folks to split the shipping. So if anyone is interested, please post here. Otherwise we'll just be grabbing a couple for us.

We're looking at a June 1st order date.

FYI: I looked up the bearing part numbers referenced in the RC thread that was pointed to, namely this post

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17606400&postcount=4

The two bearing numbers referenced were

607Z (7 X 19 X 6)and 698ZZ (8 X 19 X 6) [the numbers in parentheses are the dimensions in mm]

Since someone there made mention of EBay as a source, I decided to look up the prices there:

607Z 5 pcs for $6.35

698ZZ $3.95 each or 10 for $12.95

Thanks Tom. I'll let Evan decide, but I'd be fine ordering 10 of each. (approx $25.65). That would cover 10 dry side fixes. We can split that amongst however many WAMAS members are interested. Cheap fix to make them silent!

I bought the Ebay replacements. The results were decent, but I'm sure they would have been better with the correct tools. I had to improvise a splitter and a press. That said the dry side was intolerably loud and the bearing replacement saved a lot of money by quieting it down.

I bought the Ebay replacements. The results were decent, but I'm sure they would have been better with the correct tools. I had to improvise a splitter and a press. That said the dry side was intolerably loud and the bearing replacement saved a lot of money by quieting it down.

Ya. I'd rather buy the correct tools too. That might raise the price per pair, but then we'd have the best chance of doing the best bearing replacement for each of our units.