anybody ever take a scratch out of glass?

Guest ScubaTodd

Guest ScubaTodd

Somehow my cleaning magnet managed to put a nice little scatch dead center in the front pane of my aquarium the other day... on the outside of the tank. Complete mystery to me, I couldn't find any peice of sand or anything on the dry magent that could of caused it. This magnet has been retired for a less powerful one. The scratch is not that deep, it won't catch my fingernail, but it is clearly visible, and annoying the heck out of me. I was wondering, has anybody ever had success taking a scratch like this out? I'm nervous about just replacing it with a blurry circle in the middle of my front pane. Thanks.

Hammer! :P

Possibly, some of those advertised Eyeglass solvents?

LMK, If you find anything out, I got a couple of duzzies!

Howard

Guest Larry-T

Glass is very similar to Quartz and isn't that difficult to polish. I used the same Tin Oxide abbrasive (it's as fine as flour) to remove shallow scratches from glass as I used when I was involved with Lapidary work. The industry makes lots of very fine wheels that can be loaded with this stuff and mounted on a dremel. Keep the pressure light and the speed slow. It takes some patience, but if you've got experience in the SW hobby, you know all about that!

<<** Larry **>>

Cerium Oxide is the best thing you can get your hands on. One place you can find it is a place like JC Whitney's website. They sell it for polishing windshields with or without a polishing wheel. If you plug "cerium oxide" and "glass polishing" in google, I'm sure you will turn up a few more options.

Crazy glue

The trick is to use the thin stuff (not the gel) and a needle. Dip the needle into the liquid and then place it at the upper most portion of the scratch. If done right the little bit of glue will get sucked into the scratch at the needle tip. I've had success with this technique on fish tanks and car windshields.

At the least the scratch is less noticable at the best barely detectable. If done incorrectly or without care an even bigger mess, but I've found a razor blade helps with mistakes on glass while the ER helps wtih glued digits.

Guest ScubaTodd
I'd simply replace the tank with a bigger one and be done with it!

30841[/snapback]

HAHA, yeah, my tanks not drilled and actually the first thought I had after "Man, this scratch sucks" was "Hey... heres as good a reason as any to scrap this thing and replaced it with a drilled version and a sump.." Decisions decisions.