DIY 10 Gal SUMP

Reefoholic

Hey guys,

Here is my design for a nano sump for tanks about 20 gal. I am going to install my protein skimmer, heater and the temp probe for my RK on this SUMP to free up space on my display. I am going to utilize a Eshopps Nano HOB and I am considering an Eheim 1250 as the return pump. I am going to build in a bubble trap and a divided space for a little refugium which will host some LR rubbles and a Cheato.

Any suggestions on the return pump? Also, what material should I use for the deviders? Acrylic panels? What type of binding agent? Any Home Depot suggestions to make my life easier is appreciated highly!

Thanks!!!

5662659425_e32c5996d6_b.jpg

The layout looks nice. The only thing I might try would be to add a panel where the overflow comes down. I would put in front of your first panel going from the top down and leave a 2 to 3 inch gap at bottom. As far as the panels I would use acrylic. Very easy to cut with razor blade make a few scores and should snap on the cut. Then just use silicone. Make sure to let it fully cure. Good luck on your project please keep us updated.

-Chance-

I forgot to add about the return pump. I'm a really big fan of Eheim pumps they are pricey but come with a great warranty and use very little power. Alot of ppl don't realize that your return pump normally consumes more power than anything else in your tank due to it runs 24-7. Hope this helps some.

-Chance-

(edited)

The layout looks nice. The only thing I might try would be to add a panel where the overflow comes down. I would put in front of your first panel going from the top down and leave a 2 to 3 inch gap at bottom. As far as the panels I would use acrylic. Very easy to cut with razor blade make a few scores and should snap on the cut. Then just use silicone. Make sure to let it fully cure. Good luck on your project please keep us updated.

-Chance-

Would you suggest doing this to catch any bubbles coming down the overflow box?

I forgot to add about the return pump. I'm a really big fan of Eheim pumps they are pricey but come with a great warranty and use very little power. Alot of ppl don't realize that your return pump normally consumes more power than anything else in your tank due to it runs 24-7. Hope this helps some.

-Chance-

What about Danner-Mag Drive pumps? They seem rather economical than Eheims. And how much GPH do you think I would need? The HOB from Eshopps says up to 200 GPH. Do I wanna exceed this or not?

Thanks Chance!

Edited by Reefoholic

I would get a pump that can adjust the flow rate just incase. Make sure you get good materials, I would make sure acrylic is thick. I don't think home depot sells thick acrylic, but I could be wrong.

I would get a pump that can adjust the flow rate just incase. Make sure you get good materials, I would make sure acrylic is thick. I don't think home depot sells thick acrylic, but I could be wrong.

Good point, so I can tune it to the flow... Thanks! where to find thick acrylic? Also, why thick?

Would you suggest doing this to catch any bubbles coming down the overflow box?

What about Danner-Mag Drive pumps? They seem rather economical than Eheims. And how much GPH do you think I would need? The HOB from Eshopps says up to 200 GPH. Do I wanna exceed this or not?

Thanks Chance!

Thanta exactly it let some of those bubbles pop before they make it to your refugium. As for the mag pimps alot of ppl use them I have in the past but after my Eheim I can't go back also If you want to controll your return pump look into tunze they make great products also very efficient.

-Chance-

Good point, so I can tune it to the flow... Thanks! where to find thick acrylic? Also, why thick?

Thick is good but I'm cheap I have always used the pieces of acrylic from home depot. There are many ways to go about doing things it all depends on what u want to spend.

The first baffle isnt needed, theres no harm to have bubbles in the fuge area. I would remove it, all it does it take space away from the fuge area.

Are you planning to run an Auto Top Off? If so you are ok, but if not your return area is too small( its small being a 10 gallon tank anyways) . This is where you will see the water that evaporates from your system. And you will probably have lots of evap being a 20 gallon tank with a MH. I dont think you will like this sump design without an ATO.

As far as the baffle material, you can use acrylic, but glass is better. The silicone used to attach the baffles doesnt bond well with acrylic. Using alot of silicone will hold it in place, whereas you can use a small amount to bond a glass baffle. Thicker acrylic is better because it wont bow as much as the thinner stuff as water passes around it. Glass is alot easier, and cheaper. Just find a local hardware store, they will cut it for you, and you will spend half of what you would on acrylic. I think some lowes and home depot can cut glass for you as well, not %100 sure of that though.

(edited)

The first baffle isnt needed, theres no harm to have bubbles in the fuge area. I would remove it, all it does it take space away from the fuge area.

Are you planning to run an Auto Top Off? If so you are ok, but if not your return area is too small( its small being a 10 gallon tank anyways) . This is where you will see the water that evaporates from your system. And you will probably have lots of evap being a 20 gallon tank with a MH. I dont think you will like this sump design without an ATO.

As far as the baffle material, you can use acrylic, but glass is better. The silicone used to attach the baffles doesnt bond well with acrylic. Using alot of silicone will hold it in place, whereas you can use a small amount to bond a glass baffle. Thicker acrylic is better because it wont bow as much as the thinner stuff as water passes around it. Glass is alot easier, and cheaper. Just find a local hardware store, they will cut it for you, and you will spend half of what you would on acrylic. I think some lowes and home depot can cut glass for you as well, not %100 sure of that though.

Recommendations for a nice ATO system? I am considering EShopps or there is this one from Auto Top Off . Also, how much GPH should I get for my return pump? The distance from my HOB down to the SUMP is 45", so as the return side.

Thanks!

Edited by Reefoholic

Recommendations for a nice ATO system? I am considering EShopps or there is this one from Auto Top Off . Also, how much GPH should I get for my return pump? The distance from my HOB down to the SUMP is 45", so as the return side.

Thanks!

Couple things. An Eheim 1250 is a great pump but on a 20, may be a little too much flow (unless you're teeing off to feed other reactors, chillers, etc). I have that Eheim on my 70.

In terms of auto topoff. I use the LM3. It's an amazing pump and very accurate. Plus Spectrapure has great product support. They are pricey though.

However, Avast also sells an auto topoff. Looked pretty interesting when I saw it at the meeting, plus Justin and Dan are possibly the best at customer support that I've ever seen, especially given how affordable their products are.

I will second the AVAST recommendation...all of their products rock and they are pretty much taking over my sump (just need the skimmer and ato and it would be everything avast Ca Rx, media rx, kalk stirrer) they really have some of the best products and the prices are close to unbeatable even if you buy things used. and customer service is nuts too...last perk is they are local.

i use a tunze ozmolater for an ato and i like it alot. i got mine used and they are waaay too expensive new if you ask me

I will second the AVAST recommendation...all of their products rock and they are pretty much taking over my sump (just need the skimmer and ato and it would be everything avast Ca Rx, media rx, kalk stirrer) they really have some of the best products and the prices are close to unbeatable even if you buy things used. and customer service is nuts too...last perk is they are local.

i use a tunze ozmolater for an ato and i like it alot. i got mine used and they are waaay too expensive new if you ask me

Do we get a discount for AVAST purchases?

Just ordered the top off from AVAST. Really amazing customer service. Sent a message to AVAST here and they replied right away. They are shipping it ASAP so I can get it this Saturday. What an awesome way to run a business!!!

Thanks!!!

Just ordered the top off from AVAST. Really amazing customer service. Sent a message to AVAST here and they replied right away. They are shipping it ASAP so I can get it this Saturday. What an awesome way to run a business!!!

Thanks!!!

Cool man let me know how u like it. I agree with you advast is awesome with great shipping and great products.

-Chance-

Assembled the SUMP last night. Now it is curing happily when I go get the return pump. I am going for a Mag-Drive 3 with 350gph. Here are some pics of the SUMP as of now:

5672992332_7381f510de_b.jpg

5672992546_fa1444b79e_b.jpg

What do you guys think? Middle is the Refugium. Small but I am planning on keeping some LR rubble and Cheato there. Flow goes from right to left and there is the bubble trap before the return pump chamber because I am planing on setting the PS up in the Refugium. Also, I created the first chamber to use it for carbon filtration. I am going to make some shelves from egg crates and rest the carbon and other filter media on them directly under the HOB flow from the tank.

Ideas? Suggestions??

Thanks!

Off to get the pump now!

PS: How long to let the silicone cure? It says 48hrs on the tube but after 12 some hrs, it already is very solid.

Assembled the SUMP last night. Now it is curing happily when I go get the return pump. I am going for a Mag-Drive 3 with 350gph. Here are some pics of the SUMP as of now:

5672992332_7381f510de_b.jpg

5672992546_fa1444b79e_b.jpg

What do you guys think? Middle is the Refugium. Small but I am planning on keeping some LR rubble and Cheato there. Flow goes from right to left and there is the bubble trap before the return pump chamber because I am planing on setting the PS up in the Refugium. Also, I created the first chamber to use it for carbon filtration. I am going to make some shelves from egg crates and rest the carbon and other filter media on them directly under the HOB flow from the tank.

Ideas? Suggestions??

Thanks!

Off to get the pump now!

PS: How long to let the silicone cure? It says 48hrs on the tube but after 12 some hrs, it already is very solid.

Looks goo man nice job. I would let the silicone set up for at least 24 hrs that's what I have always done.