How long should a ph probe last?

TonyInVa

I have a Neptune Systems Apex controller. I originally started with the lab grade probe. That probe lasted about six months. Then bought the standard grade probe this one lasted about six months. These time frames are estimates. I got the apex in June of 2010 and have gone through two probes. Could I do something to prolong the life of the probe?

I normally get a year or two out of them. It's possible that the probe glass is clogged with calcium deposits. Try rejuvenating it by soaking it for 4 hours in a 50/50 solution of distilled vinegar and RO/DI water. Rinse in RO/DI for 1 minute. Then recalibrate it using pH 7 and pH 10 reference solutions, soaking it 10 minutes in each reference before taking the calibration measurement. Rinse briefly in RO/DI between the two calibrations.

I was wondering the same thing. I heard the lab grade ones supposedly last longer. I have one probe (neptune brand I think, but could be pinpoint) that was originally installed in early 2008 but still gives logical readings. I doubt it's more than .1 or .2 off. On the other hand, I have gone through several in my main system. Some last only 2-3 months before they read 2.5 or some wacky value. I even sent in the AC3 unit to Neptune and Curt claims it works fine. No idea why they fail so fast there.

My original neptune probe lasted probably 3 years, longer than the temp probe did, I'm on my first replacement probe which is a BRS probe, I find I need to calibrate it more often but it's readings have been logical.

I also have a neptune controller with lab grade pH and temperature probe. I have it for at least 3 years now. Should I replace it? It still do normal reading so I can't tell if it is still accurate or not.