Daniel's 60g Solana

Although Amber (arwndsh) has had her tank running through the past year, I am just now getting back into reefing after the loss of my temperate aquarium due to a series of unfortunate events. I finally broke down and decided to start up a new tank with some encouragement from friends here and on other forums that I frequented in the past, so on to the current iteration:

Tank: 60g Solana XL and stock stand

Lighting: 1 AquaIllumination Sol Blue

Flow: 1 Vortech mp40

Filtration:

-Stock Solana Sump and return pump

-DIY Avast CS1 Skimmer, Swabbie, and Locker

-3x DIY Avast MR5 reactors (running biopellets and carbon, as well as a retrofit for a macroalgae refugium)

Everything is controlled by a Reefkeeper.

Stocking plans: Basic mixed reef with S. tapetum as the dominant focal point. Scattered LPS with a few polyp colonies and SPS at the top to round things out on the coral side. A couple of small clams, and an LTA to finish off the inverts. Fish stocking plans are still rather loose at this point as much of what interests me right now will be difficult to obtain.

A couple of unique points:

-This will be my first mixed reef with no specific design concept (no crazy temperature regimes, no biotopic considerations, etc.) since essentially my first reef tank. I'm not sure if that knowledge will be relaxing or drive me crazy yet.

-Secondly, I ran out of room for equipment prior to getting the reactor kits. After a discussion with Justin about someone else's neat reactor ideas, I ended up putting a shelf over the tank to "display" the reactors, combined with a set of backlit LEDs that will hopefully make enough PAR for the chaeto while hopefully not requiring too much microalgae maintenance. Neat, in a mad scientist kind of way.

Current stock that was either moved from holding in Amber's tank or purchased in the last few weeks:

CUC:

a few million snails - dwarf cerith, nassarius, limpets, chitons, nerites

rock-boring urchin and very small pincushion urchin that will be removed at a later date

emerald crab

2 brittle stars

clams:

derasa

corals:

encrusting montipora

cyphastrea

lobophyllia

cynarina

acanthastrea

plate corals

several chalice frags

torch corals

blastomussa

clove/glove polyps

palythoa

anemones:

a couple of Borneman

S. tapetum ("maxi" variety)

FTS and closer on the reactors:

IMG_8374.jpg?t=1303172616

IMG_8370.jpg?t=1303172639

I'm still working out the kinks in the reactor system (such as floating or non-tumbling biopellets), so the plumbing isn't completed yet. I also haven't found a mount for the light that suits me to this point.

The rock work is exceptional as well. The middle piece, is it one piece???

Thanks!

Color-changing LED strip lights from IKEA.

Color coded for easier viewing:

IMG_8374_colored.jpg?t=1303177575

The main red piece is soccer ball sized, basically cone-shaped and pointing downwards. It's held in place in the front by the green rock and in back by the pink rock, with a decent swim-through area separating the green and pink rocks. The red piece has quite an overhang on the front, and the clam and plate coral seen in the center are both nearly completely beneath the overhang. The blue rock fits perfectly into an indentation in the shelf made by the red rock, and the yellow rock is propped against the red one, about midway back in the tank. The yellow and pink rocks also are separated by a swim-through. The white in front of the yellow is a bunch of rubble that makes up the S. tapetum garden (they prefer to stay at the sand/rock interface, so the rubble zone is one way of ensuring they won't move elsewhere). Behind all of that (6 inches behind the larger structure) is the orange rubble pile which is basically in the slot left between the side glass and the overflow, with a sand channel between the larger structure and the rubble zone. Hopefully, the future LTA will find this back rubble zone suitable, so that it stays safely away from the other corals and nems.

Looks nice!

I always like it when the equipment is highlighted in an aesthetically pleasing way. Good job :)

Thanks everyone!

Cool setup. I really like that BRS pukani rock. I would like to use that one day on an upgrade. Do you plan on raising up the AI Unit?

The BRS rock really is fantastic. I ordered 55 pounds, received 65, and actually used about 30 in the tank, but with the cheap cost, I was glad I got the extra to have pieces to mess around with (and still cheaper than live rock!). The stuff that was left over was just as nice, almost made me want to fix up the chipped tank and start it up too.

I plan on getting some sort of stand or hanging bracket for the light, but I haven't found anything pre-made to suit so far and haven't put the effort into a custom design yet. My favorite option right now is a wall mounted boom used for studio photography lighting because then i can just shove the light out the way or raise/lower it as needed without much effort, but the only versions I've found so far are much too long.

Right now, it actually sits about 6 inches above where the photo shows it (still too close, imo) on a wire cooling rack I stole from the kitchen while I decide on a more permanent solution.

WOW Daniel, your Solana is putting mine to shame lol, AWESOME set up man, and great pictures. Lets see some coral pictures :clap:

Now I don't believe that for a second...

We'll see what happens with photos. If I'm home during the really limited photoperiod (still acclimating to the lighting - almost 30" beneath the light, some mini carpets are still bleaching a bit), I'll see what I can do.

Just checked out your bio on your site. See you are into abandoned buildings left to nature. You should check out this location:

Edit - It is not working. I am trying to link to google maps. use this address

4 Ilchester Road, Ellicott City, Maryland

Go north and than down River Road towards downtown ellicott city.

Wrap around the river, and there are some cool old buildings.

Edited by BowieReefer84

Just checked out your bio on your site. See you are into abandoned buildings left to nature. You should check out this location:

Edit - It is not working. I am trying to link to google maps. use this address

4 Ilchester Road, Ellicott City, Maryland

Go north and than down River Road towards downtown ellicott city.

Wrap around the river, and there are some cool old buildings.

I was there once, but didn't explore too much and didn't have my camera. It was an interesting place, unfortunately rather run down compared to the average, and EXTREMELY popular on the day we were there. We generally try to avoid the crowded spots because of the greater potential for bad things to happen and ended up going to another place relatively close by that is much lesser known and certainly less popular due to the 24-7 security patrol (they were actually nice guys, just told us not to burn anything or injure ourselves).

WOW Dan, insane pictures dude, love the mini carpets, now i want a few more.

Thanks! I think I have 20ish right now...a far cry from how many I had a few years back, but much nicer colors coming in this past year or so.

Speaking of mini carpets - the blue one in the first picture decided to begin spawning the last couple of nights. Released a ton of sperm into the tank for about an hour-long period, but was too camera shy for me to catch him in the act. Now I just need a female to join in.

that blue one caught my eye man, it is really nice. If you see another one like it please let me know, i am in desperate need of blue in my tank.

I sent you a few links to the blue ones I know for sale.

nice hydroids. Hate the buggars, like the pic

Yup, tank newness..I have about 50 of them on one spot on the glass and nowhere else in the tank. Figured I'd just let them go to medusa phase and get sucked up by the filtration.

Looks great Daniel. Phenomenal pics as always.

The pellets should stop floating after they get colonized. You might shake the reactor a little to get some to fall back down. Seems like some made it past the screen? We are playing with a new media screen material that is more rigid so if that one gives you trouble let me know.

How is the skimmer doing?

Looks great Daniel. Phenomenal pics as always.

The pellets should stop floating after they get colonized. You might shake the reactor a little to get some to fall back down. Seems like some made it past the screen? We are playing with a new media screen material that is more rigid so if that one gives you trouble let me know.

How is the skimmer doing?

Thanks Justin. The pellets, on cue, fell about an hour after I made the post. I did have some make it through the screen, and it mainly happens when bubbles get pushed through the reactors from restarting the pumps. I don't expect it'll continue to do that since the pellets have stopped floating, but I wouldn't mind trying out the more rigid stuff with as much as I've been playing with the plumbing if you need a guinea pig.

The skimmer is dialed in and working like a champ - dark, horrid smelling stuff coming out at a good rate. First skimmer I think I've ever had that I didn't need to fiddle constantly to fix flow rates, clean the skimmer, or dump the collection cup. The locker does a fantastic job of keeping the smell contained.

Couple more photos...blue/red lobo and a tiny (3mm-ish) baby snail that was running up the glass.

IMG_8533.jpg

IMG_8535.jpg

Also gonna link the mini carpet spawning thread for my own records and in case someone finds the thread down the road and needs a reference point for the inevitable future talk of spawning/rearing:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/43167-mini-carpets-spawning/

• 3 weeks later...

Not at all surprised to see sic pics from you as usual, glad to see you got back into mini carpets. The Media chambers caught me off guard when I was skimming though the thread at first, looks great!

Thanks guys!

It's nice that mini carpets are fairly accessible now, with only a couple of exceptions ($200 atlantis red...). It was so much of a pain to even get one of them a few years back that it wasn't worth starting over at that point.

Updates...got a purple LTA off DD:

cfimg2374634592491654053.png

And then later, picked up the golden pygmy angel:

cfimg-2260776018725173986.png

IMG_0315.jpg

...which has required me to setup a new tank to house the LPS. I was hoping it wouldn't, but it rather enjoys the Lobos and Fungiids.