Hello everybody!

I am brand new to the saltwater world. I had a 40 gallon freshwater tank before with African Cichlids but I decided to give everything to my brother so that I can start a bigger saltwater tank. At first I thought it was going to be easy and probably cost me around $1K....boy was I wrong. I am slowly learning all of the aspects to the saltwater world and the initial costs to get good equipment that won't fail right away. Don't get me wrong, you can probably get started at $1K but I kept reading its better to buy the good stuff right away then having to buy the cheaper equipment multiple times. This is why it's a slow process for me.

So far I have a 75 gallon tank with a corner overflow that I got from craig's list that. I decided to refinish the wood in order to make it look new and I wanted a black stain to match my condo. Doing this I realized the wood is very good quality so at least I got a good deal on the first setup. It took a lot of effort to even drill a couple holes so I know it is quality oak wood. I then bought a new all-glass overflow kit because the old pipes didn't look like they were in great shape.

I am now currently about to finish buying all the lighting. Since I am new to everything I decided to go with LED after some research. I figure I would pay up front but then not have to worry about heat or replacing bulbs. After talking to the experts at my local LFS, I went with 4 Exocotic LED modules on the left and right so 8 total. I also went ahead and bought 4 blue stunner strips to add some color on each side. I thought I was done but I was told I should get the UV stunners to create moonlighting because the blue ones are too strong. So I will start with one UV stunner on each side for moonlighting and go from there...I may need two more but we'll see.

That's pretty much it for me so far. I also bought an ADHI Refugium sump online because I decided not to do the whole DIY setup and I thought ADHI had good quality for the price. My next step is just to continue to research and purchase all of the plumbing/pumps to go with the sump.

I came across this website and got mad at myself for now searching for it sooner. At least I got lucky and noticed an event going on in Vienna this weekend. I went ahead and purchased the membership and I'm excited to be a part of this community.

I think its funny for a newbie because once I think I find a nice protein skimmer and think that its, I come across the whole calcium reactor device. So I research that...then I come across Kalk and its benefits. I think its done there but then I find with Kalk it's recommended that you use an auto-top off system. It never ends! Its definitely fun to research but I don't think research will ever end!

(edited)

Welcome! sounds like you're on the right track. You definitely want to ask questions and do your research before buying anything else, or you may find yourself replacing things quickly down the line.

There is a club meeting this Sunday which you may enjoy (the event in Vienna).

In terms of skimmers, there are often great skimmers for sale used. In addition, one of our sponsers (AVAST) makes a kicka$$ skimmer. I've got one of their older ones and it's definitely a beast.

Edited by roni

Thanks! I am very glad I came across this website and community. I've already posted my first question and I'm hoping to join everybody on Sunday.

Look forward to meeting you this weekend. Ask away, there are plenty of great resources here. Plus you look like you are taking things slow and steady and doing your research. Patience will pay dividends in the long run.

Welcome.

Welcome to WAMAS, Steve. I'll have your membership card ready for you at the meeting. Please introduce yourself to me while there. I'll probably be at the desk checking people in.

Get used to the research aspect of the hobby. It's one of the most enjoyable parts of it for me - it's like a treasure hunt sometimes.

I'm glad that you took the time to join up right away. I think that was a good decision and know that it will pay off quickly for you.

Now, in your profile, there's a field called "Location." Please update it with where you're at (City, State) so people, when they're helping you with something, know if you're close by or not.

Welcome WAMAS,

I am new too but i can sure tell you one thing WAMAS is great place to find things you need it will save you money on some items some people have things that they dont even need willing to make room in their house or storage. Its great to find people of all race ethnicity and all that have the same interest as you do.

Jayson