RO/DI system not producing like it used to!

Tang-away

I have a RO/DI system from Aqua-safe systems. I bought it about a year and a half ago and have noticed lately that it is not producing the quantity that it used to. I check to see if the RO had fail by checking the TDS after the RO filter and it was around 17 TDS, whereas the normal tap water is around 200. After the DI it gets it to 0-1 TDS. The system is the 75 gph system and after it runs through all the membranes I am only getting maybe 2 drops per second. When I first bought the system it was almost a steady stream of new RO/DI water coming out. I change the filters every six months as scheduled and flush the RO membrane every once in a while.

Why has my Ro/di water production dropped so drastically? its only 1 and half years old. Thanks

Guest bill33

do you make water outside from the garden house? maybe there is something restricting the water in the line? i had that problem, found out it was a kink, i guess i got a little lucky :D

Bill

its plumbed in under the kitchen sink, I checked all tubes to make sure they were clean and not plugged with crud.

Can an RO membrane go bad in a year and a half?

Guest what up

tang-away

I bought 3 systems from them so far so good. You can call or email the Aqua-safe and ask why it happen to your system. The only thing happen to my system is that after one year I re-order the shut off valve it tent to leak due to water pressure. Anyway, good luck let us know what you can find out about your system.

Another possible cause can be a pressure drop in your household. Have you noticed any changes? Such as less pressure while having a shower?

I usually run around 3 gallons per day on top off so I should get about 6 months (500 gallons) out of all my filters except the RO membrane . The RO membrane is supposed to good for alot longer than the other filters. I was thinking it should process around 3000 gallons of water without expiring. I would be up to around 1500 gallons produced so far (500 gallons per 6 months X 3 (1 and half years I have had it)).

My normal tap water is around 200 TDS

I have not noticed any pressure drop throughout the house in faucets or shower output. I guess I will email them and talk to them.

I guess the bettter quesiton here is, will I notice a decrease in production after the RO is dead even though it is still producing quality RO water? Is it just clogged up?

is there anything gumming up the waste line and did you change the restrictor with the membrane? bacteria will build up in the waste line and cause it to be nasty on the inside. HTH

I just went through the same problem roughly 10 days ago. I've been running this ro/di for 7 months and suddenly the output dropped to zero right causing me to panic right before I was leaving for a week in Hawaii. Great time by the way!

I stopped in to the guy in Centerville, and he told me that the water company had done something (springtime flush) or other and that his filters were gunked up too and had just changed them.

I replaced the both filters, and the output is back to normal. Your solution be the simplest one. You are likely on a different water system, but it's worth a try.

P.S. The filter cartridges looked okay to me in the lighting in my basement. Outside, they looked like H-E-double hocky sticks.

FF

You could also put pressure gauge on the input to the RO stage. Should be close to the home 60-70 psi I believe as the pressure reduction "thingy" is after the RO. Or, take off the ro and see if you can blow water through the first 2 (or 3-4 if you are rich and have some 6 stage, may need hefty lungs though) stages to see if it is clogged. If you can, probably the RO membrane clogged.

Somebody correct me if I am on crack here.

Following up on my previous post. The new first-stage filter turned brown in three weeks because there is so much junk in the water!

FF

Tang-away,

If I remember your setup right, your feed line goes under the carpet to your tank, right? One of your roomates may have stepped on the feed line, putting a crimp in it. Another possibility is something is stuck in your feed line somewhere between the water pipe and your first filter element...either from the water company flushing the lines, or just mineral buildup.

I would troubleshoot for both by running a temp feed line from your water source to the RO/DI inlet. At least that would eliminate that piece of the puzzle.

You might also have a blockage in some of the tubing that runs between the different filters. If this were the case, you could replace the filters all day long and still have a problem.

Good luck,

Jon

note to self, change filters before posting about filter not producing like it used to. :D I changed all the filters a couple of days ago and flushed the RO membrane for an hour or so and everything checkout great. It is back up and producing like it used to. I need to start writing down the exact date to change all my filters. I guess I am using more water than I thinking I am. Hope some people learned to change the filters after this thread is over! :blink:

Tangster, that's just what I suggested.

Forget Pressure gauges and roomates walking patterns, the whole lot.

My new filters have been in use for three weeks, and are already darker than the ones that I pulled. I stopped into store over the weekend and the guy repeated to me that there is a whole lot of junk in the tap water during this season.

Often the simplest solution is the one that's overlooked.

FF