tank cost/size

Jager

I am looking for a bigger tank as my fiancee has expressed interest in a FOWLR tank for a ghost eel and wants to claim my 75 gallon as its home.

i have looked at a few different designs and sizes, but i am torn between a 125 gallon 6 foot tank or a marine land 200g 4ft by 3ft tank.

do any of the vendors have a price on the marineland tanks? or anyone in wamas currently using one? how do you like them? any critiques or changes you'd like?

those in the club with 6ft tanks how do you like them, I remember Dave hochheisers 180g tank and chips 220, and the depth seemed off at certain angles, hence the thinking of a more cube design, but i know they are great for tangs and other swimming fish due to the extra length.

suggestions opinions? i know there are plenty of cube tanks in wamas and certainly a few 120 or 125's floating around.

anyone who happens to have a tank they are looking to sell in that size range please pm me the details as well.

Thanks

I like my 180g tank since I can put 3 MH pendants over it and have it covered. I like the Marineland 4'x3' tank but just couldn't figure out how to light the thing with MH's effeciently without dark spots or too many lights, I'd had t5's and figured they would be good to light it with 2 fixtures but wanted to go back to MH's.

I know a lot of folks do not care for the dimensions, but personally I like the 125 a lot.

I had one for several years. I love the 6' length, and I like the non-overwhelming width and depth.

I would rather have a 125 than a 120, 180 or a 220, etc.

As for the big cub-ish marineland tanks, no experience, but I have seen them for sale at That Fish Place (PA, long drive), and also at SuperPetz.

I am looking for a bigger tank as my fiancee has expressed interest in a FOWLR tank for a ghost eel and wants to claim my 75 gallon as its home.

i have looked at a few different designs and sizes, but i am torn between a 125 gallon 6 foot tank or a marine land 200g 4ft by 3ft tank.

do any of the vendors have a price on the marineland tanks? or anyone in wamas currently using one? how do you like them? any critiques or changes you'd like?

those in the club with 6ft tanks how do you like them, I remember Dave hochheisers 180g tank and chips 220, and the depth seemed off at certain angles, hence the thinking of a more cube design, but i know they are great for tangs and other swimming fish due to the extra length.

suggestions opinions? i know there are plenty of cube tanks in wamas and certainly a few 120 or 125's floating around.

anyone who happens to have a tank they are looking to sell in that size range please pm me the details as well.

Thanks

I think BRK had some special pricing on the Marineland DD aquariums.

The deep dimension tanks are interesting, but IMO a 6 ft tank has much more presence than a 4 ft tank, even if it's 3 ft deep. Working in a tank that's not as deep should be much easier as well. You can, however, create some very interesting aquascapes in a deep tank that aren't possible otherwise, but getting to all the locations for coral mounting or (gasp) catching fish would be a bear.

you are correct beatle, and I guess it would help to say that the main reason for looking at a 4ft tank was because I was going to put it next to my 75 gallon reef tank and create an L shaped tank system in the fish area which would allow me to "hide" the external skimmer and plumbing stuff.(wish I had photos but the camera is not available due to "wedding planning" I am told.)

both the 210 and the 225 on here breaking down would be a great tank to work with except for the top to bottom depth. I find them harder to aquascape and that the fish tend to spend most of their time in the lower 2/3's of the tank making it look sorta empty up top. In my 75 I cured that somewhat by building rock structures that arch and the tops of the arches get near the top, allowing fish to roam the area more comfortably, but the extra 8-9 inches on the 210/220 means I will need some serious epoxy/dowel work to get the same effect.

First off, I'll say that having the 3' depth is amazing.......it opens up all kinds of space for fish to swim and different aquascaping options. Look at this thread:

http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/42301-fs-getting-out-of-the-hobby/

May be able to get the entire setup that you want.

I agree. The 3' front-to-back dimension sounds really appealing. Even more so if it was in a 6' wide form factor rather than 4'. In a near cube, you essentially would have three viewing panes (assuming one pane was against a wall or something). In a 6' x 2' tank, you really have one viewing pane and two side panes. Both have advantages, I suppose. And, depending upon your needs, one may suit you better than the other. I guess that's why there's a market for both.