Clownfish lifespan

Laurie

I have had this Cinnamon Tomato clown for about 8 years. It is healthy, happy and very dominate. While I feel some attachment for it, I hve been wanting a pair of Oscellis for some time. Does anyone know what the typical life span of a clown is in captivity. I am trying to decide whether to move it on or just live with it. If it is nearing the end of its time, I will wait it out. But if it is likely to live of several more years, then I would like to find it a new home.

Wow! I had no idea they could live that long. Thanks for the link. Interesting reading.

Was it Almon who talked about clownfish in a meeting a year or two ago? Whoever, he said someone had one that lived to like 40 years old. An interesting fact is that clowns can stay juveniles their entire lives.... or was he talking about male humans?

Yep, they are nice clowns. I'm not sure how old they were when I got them - I think they were about 1.5", so I'm guessing at least a year, so it would be maybe 12 years.

I would like to know at what age they stop breeding.

My fireclown is now 16 years old, I also had a percula for 12 years. I would imagine they can live 20 years or more.

He is in the center here at about 12 years old

cleantank003.jpg

Edited by paul b

I wonder what other common aquarium fish have lifespans of more than ten years. I would like to avoid fish that will keep having to be replaced, especially since we don;t always know how old they are when we buy them.

Yah, I have had this clown for 8 years. Haven't a clue how old it was when I got it.

The big one is 23 years old.I got her when I was 18 and survived 3 moves.

:ohmy: She also more than likely came from Rozzens. :blink:

DSC_5134.jpg

Edited by SkiCurtis

My clarkii is at least 15 years old (been traded from about 5 different people from down in blacksburg, one person had her for 12 years and got them from another reefer but couldnt remember how old it was at that point

been through two battles with pop eye, the last one i think left its eye useless but she gets along just fine without it.

Have you considered keeping it and setting up a 2nd tank for a new clown pair instead? You should keep it. :)Or donate it to a local school.

Edited by audible

Yes, I am going to hang on to it for now. It would require a major dismantling of my reef to catch it. "MF" is great at hiding when it feels threatened. Here is a crappy pic of "MF"

MF-in-frogspawn.jpg

We have been through a lot together. Tank changes and learning curves. Another 10 years or more though. Maybe a school tank would be an option. Next time I am doing some serious aquascaping, I may decide to catch it.

I hate to do this, but if you really want to catch her you can suprise her with light and she will be temperaly dazed.... Thats how I caught the unwanted clown in my tank!