water storage container question

Vadim

since i can't find the water container that i really want, im thinking of buying a 45 gallon trash can from home depot for water storage. Before i do, i had a question. Does the container need to be food container approved? if so can i buy a plastic liner to put inside the trash can?

thanks

I use two brute trash cans. One to hold water and one on wheels to drain water. Allows me make sure I have enough water to be replaced.

I second the brute.

If you want, there is a white version available that is food safe, but I know of MANY people who have used the grey ones (including me when I used one as a sump for ~4 years) without problem.

Edited by Chad

I use the heavy, duty (gray) brute trash cans. I've had other trash cans begin leaking after a couple of years, so it pays to get the heaviest, most durable can you can get your hands on. I understand that some use food-grade containers, but I've not had a problem (that I'm aware of) using the Brute's.

I considered bringing that article up when I posted. However, I think there are two things to think about after reading it: First, the effect was limited to viability of coral gametes, not something we as hobbyist usually see or attempt to raise. And second, the effect was widely regarded in the community as isolated and potentially due to contamination (search for Randy Holmes Farley's opinion of it on RC) and not the brute trashcan. After considering both things and knowing of the very large number of people in the hobby who have used them for many years without issue, I concluded the risk as acceptable and joined the ranks of those who use them without issue.

Edited by Chad

Eric Borneman came out with an article stating how brute trash cans have some negative impact on coral larvae, eggs and/or sperm or something along those lines a while back.

Here is the article of anyone wants to read it.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic101230-9-1.aspx

This was not a well controlled study and in fact was not a study at all it was an anecdotal observation that he reported. It sounds like one "Brute trash can" and no mention of testing other randomly selected cans or a control group. We have no way of knowing if that can became contaminated or what the real story here is. I was looking for a follow up study where he specifically tried to reproduce those results in a randomized well controlled study, but nothing yet. That said, it is at least worth making note of and being cautious.

I just read all the posts, very interesting. It is true that was not a real study. But one must make note of the fact that this could be possible. On another hand, how many people out there think that hmmm maybe i just did something wrong in breeding and not think that it might be the trash can.

Vadim, a valid question, yet one that many who breed on RC answered with "I use them and don't have issues." Is the potential for an issue there? Sure. Is the evidence there to support it? No. Just one article by a very prominent member of the hobby (who is generally an extreme stickler for scientific method) providing a single observation. Do some researching on this topic, especially the RHF responses (he provides a technically backed opinion on why they are ok), I have seen it come up many times and it is always the same. A few folks asking "well, maybe, what if" and a bunch of folks saying "I have used them many times for many years without issue."

On the other side of the coin, you can always get the white food safe version or have a tank custom made to fit your needs if you are really unsure.

I'm familiar with Borneman's anecdotal report and the controversy that ensued. Since, with power heads and such, my tank would be a hostile environment to coral gametes, even if it were an issue, the observation seems to have little impact on me. Further, with the common use of these containers in the hobby without report of problems, I'm more likely to think that the quality of the air in our homes would have greater impact than leaching from plastics.