Snorkeling in Haiti

reefhunter

canon d10... its awesome. My Nikon D90 didn't leave the case on this trip because the little Canon is awesome.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d10

Thanks guy for looking! I was quite impressed that I could get these shots while hanging upside down, holding my breath, sometimes at 10-20 feet deep.

I was quite impressed that I could get these shots while hanging upside down, holding my breath, sometimes at 10-20 feet deep.

Haha, one of my favorite past times!!

Pictures are awesome, Hunter, I am glad you had a good time.

Those are some amazing shots, I don't even know how you keep steady! I have an underwater housing for a very old Canon p&s, been looking for an excuse to upgrade. :happy:

I also have a D90 and I'd be too nervous to put that in the water!

Cruise2011069.jpg

what type of coral is this?

Nice shots! This is most likely Millepora alcicornis - aka Fire Coral. You'll often see it taking over and assuming the shape of gorgonians it encrusts. Millepora complanata forms more of a blade-like growth formation. Either way, don't touch... :biggrin:

The corals with the fire worm and christmas tree worms are Montastrea faveolata. Some of my favorite Caribbean assemblages are massive, towering boulders of this coral. A sight to see spawning too...

Well done!

Cheers

Mike

Edited by OUsnakebyte

I only took picutres of the living stuff. Overall I would say that 20% of the corals were dead, so not too bad. I tried to get close up polyp shots because I thought that would give a good idea of the health of the corals.

there was new growth, especially on the SPS (Green slimer?). I didn't see any signs of "dying" coral. I saw "dead" coral and "growing" coral.

there was new growth, especially on the SPS (Green slimer?). I didn't see any signs of "dying" coral. I saw "dead" coral and "growing" coral.

Acropora cervicornis - Staghorn coral. Its population numbers have been significantly reduced, but it is nice to see growth on the remaining colonies.

Cheers

Mike

I have a Canon D10, great camera.

If you don't have it yet, get the accessory kit, it has a lot of useful straps for scuba and hiking.

Nice pictures.