New from Rockville MD and torch coral question

gizmoody

Just wanted to say hi. Will become a WAMAS member and I look forward to interacting with reefers in the area. I am not very experienced in this hobby and started my 65g Red Sea Max 250 tank in Aug 2010. Very addictive and relaxing to build this type of ecosystem. If only I were still a marine biologist, this would be much easier!

My first question is: I have a green torch coral and the tips are starting to look deformed (like gas pump handles), some with new tips forming like a reproducing frogspawn. Does anyone know if this is normal or how these things form new tentacles? The coral seems really happy so it must not be bad but I am still a bit anxious.

Thanks!

Welcome to the board! Try to make it to our meeting in a couple of weeks that will be up by you. http://www.wamas.org/forums/topic/39765-winter-meeting-2011-matt-pedersen/page__pid__347316__st__0&?do=findComment&comment=347316

It sounds like it is just happy and growing but if you can post some pictures that would help.

I'll echo the sentiments re: your website! As far as your torch coral, I agree with David (and I can't believe given how nice your website is that you don't have a picture of the torch up there under either problems or corals! :biggrin:).

Welcome to WAMAS!!

I second Dave on this one! Nice website and great photos... where is the frogspawn! :)

Thanks! You got me...I should have a pic up. ;) I've been slacking on the blogging of recent.

Another forum member PM'd me that it could be the flow or light and it makes sense. I'll test it but I'll still try to get a pic up soon.

Frogspawn is in the upper right of tank in front of the torch in the slide show on my site (sorry, I can't post to gallery on this forum yet). It was tiny and in terrible shape (brown) when I got it and it has recovered and is splitting into 3 short heads.

I am really glad you all liked the website. Marine life is beautiful and classy compared to most and I really wanted a site with a bit more style out of respect for that life. By the way, this forum's functionality and looks are really refreshing compared to most of the others out there.

Thanks again!