DIY Aquacontroller breakout box

Jon Lazar

My DIY Aquacontroller III breakout box

I've wanted to increase the functionality of my Aquacontroller for some time now by adding several float switches and water detectors. My plan was to add at least two water detectors: one in the stand and one under my RO/DI unit, and float switches in the sump and maybe the skimmer cup, both set to notify me when the levels are too high. I also wanted the option to add more water detectors in the future, and possibly more float switches.

The Neptune breakout box looks like a good product and is reasonably priced, but it isn't really made to physically accept the large number of wires I plan to use from all these different water detectors and float switches. I suppose I could have made 3 pigtails for I1, I2, and ground, but I wanted something tucked away and cleaner looking. So I decided to build my own breakout box. In the end I spent almost $30 and a couple hours of my time, which is no cheaper than buying the commercial unit from Neptune. But this breakout box fits my needs better, and that's what really matters to me.

Parts list

8 pin male/male mini Din cable (Cablestogo.com #02318 $9.99)

Project Enclosure (3x2x1") (Radioshack.com #270-1801 $2.49)

1/8" Mono Panel-Mount Audio Jack (3-Pack) x2 (Radioshack.com #274-251 $3.99 each)

1/8

Great write up Jon!

It never fails to amaze me at some of the really cool DIY stuff that can be done with these aquarium controllers... I am going to keep this post in mind for when I get one (in the near future :) ).

Thanks for posting this up.

Jon, thanks for posting this! Great instruction and really useful, too. I love that you're using the phono jacks. It'll make for a really simple and clean hookup.