Spring Heat in Tanks

Lee Stearns

Just a note. I have watched the last couple of days the tempeture in my tank rises.

My normal tank temp runs 79.1 to about 82.0 from night to day temp when the halides come on- this 3 degree fluctuation has not been a problem. But with Spring here I see the daytime temp climbing to 83.3 as we open windows in the house and do not use the AC- This is the time of the year I run a fan on the fuge to keep temps down from that upper spike. Once summer is here and the central AC is keeping a more constant temp I find I cut the fans back off.

Just a note to those that may not be watching thier tank temps because they seem so stable and predictable every day.

Regards,

Lee

Guest clownfish4

Luckily it isn't a problem for me since my tank is in my basement and mostly underground. Thanks for the update though Lee. Also, if you find fans aren't doing the trick for you, you can make a real cheap chiller with a pump, airline tubing, and a small refrigerator.

Luckily it isn't a problem for me since my tank is in my basement and mostly underground.  Thanks for the update though Lee.  Also, if you find fans aren't doing the trick for you, you can make a real cheap chiller with a pump, airline tubing, and a small refrigerator.

29097[/snapback]

my tank shot to 85 deg yesterday, freeked me out a bit, I turned off the halides. the windows were not open, it was like a sauna in my place when I got home. everything is kewl now

My tank is in the basement too! so it help! the temp do not fluctuated that much, Spring and Summer around the conner, so keep an eyes out for your temp in your tank specially when one run Metal Halide bulbs.

Guest BuddhaFish

I noticed a 4deg rise in my tank the past week too....

i have a window airconditioning unit for the room that my tank is in. i had to dig it out today and start it up. summer's on it's way~ =)

Yup, I hit 86 today.... brutal. All seems well though.

I might have to switch to my "summer times" soon - lights on around 6pm, lights off around 6am. Problem is, I now live in an efficiency instead of the former 1 bedroom. Oh well, I guess I'll have a great nightlight and won't have to worry about running into anything in the middle of the night when I get up!

Cheers

Mike

Small "College" fridges just don't have the firepower to have an effect on the temp of a tank more than 10 or 15 gal.

Lots of people have gotten the idea to save $800 on a chiller using a $50 fridge and have posted pics/ storries of the build, but sadly they have a compressor built to keep an insolated 2 gallons of water at 35 degrees (running about 25% of the time) not 50 to 200 gal of water that has heat pouring into it.

Spend the $ on fans.

I still have the 1/5 hp aquanetics chiller up for sale.

Bought new, used 4 months before the member upgraded to a 1/3 hp.

PM me if anyone is interested.

-Krish

I too have seen the jump in temps. I just picked up a small 4" "High Velocity" fan from Wal mart. I have it blowing across my fuge, and was suprised to see a .5 degree drop within 2hrs. I woke up this morning and the tank was back to 78

Last summer my central air went down twice... which I have decided to totally replace this spring. The last time it went down, my tank shot up to 90-something... which broke the proverbial camel's back for a chiller. I lost a ton of corals as you can imagine.

It's hard to gauge the most important thing I have bought for my tank, but my chiller is up there somewhere. I stay at 77-78F.