Treating algae with h2o2(peroxide)

F&Fmgr

So today, I started dosing 1mL per 10 gallons. we will see how it goes. particularly Dino's and Bryopsis.

I will post before pics and then after pics when the treatment is done.

Here is a link that a friend referred me to

LMK if you guys have any experience with it

Sean

So today, I started dosing 1mL per 10 gallons. we will see how it goes. particularly Dino's and Bryopsis.

I will post before pics and then after pics when the treatment is done.

Here is a link that a friend referred me to

LMK if you guys have any experience with it

Sean

I will be curious if this works...i am battling algae right now.....

Bryan

I'm very curious now. Are you talking about putting in an established aquarium, or putting the rock in something for treatment?

ok so i dosed 40 mL in a 450 gallon system with lps/softies @ 3-4p today, and now the bryopsis and some of the dinos are fading in color, some is floating off into the socks, and the skimmer is a bit more reactive... i guess thats because of the extra oxygen molecule being so ready to oxidize?

In a 300 gallon sps with some diatom growth, and a hint of dinos I dosed 30mL, no noticed effect yet...

From what that guy was saying in that link, it really started working day 2 & 3, so we'll see

So i came in this morning and my LPS/softy system which had the bryopsis and dinos in it, is 90% free of the pest algaes... I will keep an eye to see if the lights regenerate any of the algae. The SPS system has NO dinos(started with only a lil bit) but the diatoms are still there.

All corals look great, some of the zoas are closed up but I cant tell if its coincidence(ie hermit crawling over them) or not, but I'm going to do another dose this morning.

Happy reefing,

Sean

Sean, by any chance, do you have an ORP probe, and are you taking ORP measurements during this process? Hydrogen peroxide is an oxidizer, much like ozone. It needs to be treated as such. I'd be interested in knowing what's happening to ORP through all of this.

Another thing to consider is that hydrogen peroxide significantly boosts the oxygen content of the water. I'm not sure what the impact of this might be on the various organisms. This may have consequences for anaerobes and facultative anaerobes, too. As you perform this experiment, you may want to see if there's an impact on nitrate levels that may indicate loss of some capacity in this area.

Tom,

Ive used it on my fish systems just for water clarity with much higher doses. the general trend i saw with ORP was that it lowered and then came back up. I do have a milwaukee ORP controller, not sure how accurate it is as its been out of service for a couple months... i will check the nitrates now, when the treatment is done, and maybe a week or two after.

Thanks for the input!

Sean

i am definitely going to try this. i guess i would need to disconnect my refugium ?

I wouldn't know...but i'd guess no. Just because I can't see that lil amount of peroxide kkilling macros. if the peroxide has similiar properties to ozone.... then it might benefit the macro?? I read some literature years ago that said O3 use allowed macroalgae tto grow better....don't know how accurate that is tho.

I tries this last year without much luck. Then I tried the vodka posing without much luck either. The things that I did notice was that withy bryopsis outbreaks was that my cal reactor was running at a affluent ph of 7 and that my magnesium level was very low (1050). The only thing that helped was bringing my magnesium level up to closer to 1500 using Kent tech-m. Brs magnesium (mag chloride/solphate ) did nothing to kill bryopsis.

Good luck.

Glad to see it worked for you Sean

I tried the dip at full strenght (store bought 3% h202) and didnt see any ill affects, ive hear others using 50/50 for the dip and letting the sit in there for a few minutes, my did i only did for 30seconds.

I also took the h202 and injected it into the tank with a syringe directly on a few patches of algea and it did well at killing those patches within a few hours.

Tom for the ORP in the link or maybe it was another one i forgot to send there was a graph from an apex orp probe and it would drop significantly upon addition and then go back up to the previous level gradually, there was no overal reduction in orp

only thing i have hear to be very weary of is if your water is not that clear, when the h202 cleans up the water it may cause some bleaching due to the amount of light added to the tank.

I had been treatin for 2 days and definately saw some algea on frag plugs disappearing, then i went out of town and am starting back up today.

hopefully it helps, if not oh well cheap enough to not care and i have not see any ill effects yet. pod population and macro have stayed the same.

Guys,

my only fear is that its gonna kill things like chaeto???? :blush:

any thoughts?

Bryan

Edited by rrubberbandman

dilute .2mL 3% peroxide in a gallon of seawater and drop some chaeto in it overnight

Sean,

I dont understand what you saying....i want to dose peroxide...but was curious if its gonna kill macro's?

Sean,

I dont understand what you saying....i want to dose peroxide...but was curious if its gonna kill macro's?

He is saying if you want to test and see what happens with the chaeto before fully implementing, then try what he is saying...

yeah, just submerge the macro your growing(just a piece of it) in a gallon with .2mL peroxide, then leave it overnight. Want to be more thorough, dose the gallon every day with the same amount/or more of peroxide. i mean you triple or quadruple or even ten fold the dose on the sample macro just to see how it reacts.

Sean, how are your tanks looking now? Did it kill off algae in the SPS tank yet? Did you still leave the lights off for these days or did you run them full time? I'm going to do this when I get home, but I am going to do the dipping method on some zoa frags first, then a couple of SPS frags before deciding to dose the tank. I've read in Troylee's thread that so far, there has been no ill effects from dosing this.

Edited by audible

Also, this isn't that new of a method, just not widely practiced by reef hobbyist until lately I suppose? Thread dates back to 2004. Not much info in it, but I thought the fact that it's been brought up so many years ago was interesting.

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/general-reef-aquarium-discussion/1195-h2o2-hydrogen-peroxide.html

Another old, but interesting read... (link that was provided in the thread above)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

there is a thread started on RC in the chemistry forum that people have stated some long term negative effects but dont really state what or why they are, im not sure but everything ive read says nothing about negative effects.

I do want to see what happens when someone who had a problem stops dosing if it comes back or stays away.

works great as a dip though

and many say in power outages its a good way to keep oxygen levels up

Edited by Der ABT

Sean, how are your tanks looking now? Did it kill off algae in the SPS tank yet? Did you still leave the lights off for these days or did you run them full time? I'm going to do this when I get home, but I am going to do the dipping method on some zoa frags first, then a couple of SPS frags before deciding to dose the tank. I've read in Troylee's thread that so far, there has been no ill effects from dosing this.

Hasn't wiped out 100% of the algae yet, im still on day 6, but every day is an improvement.

Ive been feeding tthe same, skimming the same, and i even doubled the dose yesterday and today...no ill effects, other than rapidly clearing the water up... light cycle has stayed the same 11-8

I heard about having your nitrate around 2ppm-3ppm and don't do any water change for 2 months+ will starve off the dino. I read it somewhere in RC i think

Edited by thewire

Not sure why people think dinos are so hard to get rid of. I had it a few years ago and all I did was leave the lights off for 3 days straight.

I tries this last year without much luck. Then I tried the vodka posing without much luck either. The things that I did notice was that withy bryopsis outbreaks was that my cal reactor was running at a affluent ph of 7 and that my magnesium level was very low (1050). The only thing that helped was bringing my magnesium level up to closer to 1500 using Kent tech-m. Brs magnesium (mag chloride/solphate ) did nothing to kill bryopsis.

Good luck.

I had a bryopsis problem, and raising the Mg to 1500-1600 killed it within a few weeks. I used 3 parts epsom salts for the MgSO4, and 5 parts TropicMarin Mg, for the cloride. I've since moved on to Dead Sea Salts for the MgCl, staying with the epsom salts, which I think is the same thing that BRS has, at least in theory. Anyway, the original mix killed the bryopsis, and it never came back with the new mix. I think my corals did a bit better to with the Mg at 1500 and in general I think I've had much less trouble with nuisance algae of all sorts.... I've read that supposedly not every species/genus of bryopsis can be controlled with Mg but I found it to be so effective on the type I had that I'd be surprised if that was really the case.

Not sure why people think dinos are so hard to get rid of. I had it a few years ago and all I did was leave the lights off for 3 days straight.

well for me, I have tried leaving the lights off for 3-5 days twice on this one out break with no success...plus how long can a store continue to have its lights off? not many people buy corals in the dark!!