Ground Probe

Mando77

I put in an order with Marine Depot for a few things and was considering getting a ground probe to prevent current in tank. Does anyone use a ground probe. I didn't know if it really did much.

I think it is a good idea for you and your livestock. Just an added level of protection.

Years ago I thought I read an article about how it can contribute to lateral line disease or something of that nature.

Your first priority should be to install and run your tank off of a GFCI if you're not already. After that, you can add a ground probe.

The hypothetical linkage to lateral line disease stems from the possibility of stray voltage buildup being drawn off of devices (such as pumps) that generate static charge by ground probes, setting up very small currents in the water (from the pump to the probe) that interfere with a fish's lateral-line sensory system. That's what I've read, at least. As far as I know, it's unproven.

I use one.

I only put pumps and heaters on a GFCI. I keep lights off of it to prevent nuisance tripping. I would also recommend using two GFCI's and splitting pumps and heaters on them so if one trips you have back up.

I too don't think anything for HLLE has been proven but I think over use of carbon has a big impact.

I only put pumps and heaters on a GFCI. I keep lights off of it to prevent nuisance tripping. I would also recommend using two GFCI's and splitting pumps and heaters on them so if one trips you have back up.

I too don't think anything for HLLE has been proven but I think over use of carbon has a big impact.

I had a lot of nuisance tripping with my lighting (on light startup) of my GFCI at one time, but tracked it down to the use of a surge protector on the GFCI circuit. When I removed the surge protector, the tripping stopped. Could you have had a similar situation?

I've probably read more about the relationship of carbon and HLLE than stray current and HLLE, overall. I don't think anybody has anything more than hypotheses at this point, though.

I have 9 tanks on the same system, 2 upstairs 7 downstairs. I have one ground probe in the main display upstairs and one in the sump downstairs. Do i need one in each tank, or is that over kill?

I had a lot of nuisance tripping with my lighting (on light startup) of my GFCI at one time, but tracked it down to the use of a surge protector on the GFCI circuit. When I removed the surge protector, the tripping stopped. Could you have had a similar situation?

I've probably read more about the relationship of carbon and HLLE than stray current and HLLE, overall. I don't think anybody has anything more than hypotheses at this point, though.

Many electronic ballasts will cause it because they have an output Frequency between 20 kHz and 40 kHz which causes leakage to ground. There is also an issue with high capacitive firing which even core and coil HID ballast can cause that will trip a GFCI. A TVSS or MOV in an electronic ballast can also dump the static to ground which may cause it to trip.

I agree that there is a lot of hypotheses out there. I did have a hippo and yellow tang for years with no major issues and a after a couple of months of putting a new carbon reactor on line I started to see the signs. I stop the use of the reactor and the HLLE stop. After several years it never got any worse. So it may be coincidental but I no longer use carbon except for emergencies and it is very well rinsed when I do.

I have 9 tanks on the same system, 2 upstairs 7 downstairs. I have one ground probe in the main display upstairs and one in the sump downstairs. Do i need one in each tank, or is that over kill?

If they are on the same system then you are fine as long as the water is kept flowing between them to keep the continuity of the tank to the ground probes.

If they are on the same system then you are fine as long as the water is kept flowing between them to keep the continuity of the tank to the ground probes.

Thanks for answering. Water is flowing at all times.