Any Closed Loop Pump Recommendations

kingfish

I am looking for a closed loop pump recommendation for by 210 tank set up. I would like to hear what wamas members recommend. I have 5-i.5 inch holes drilled in my tank by NAGA. I drain with 4 returns. I will be using an ocean motion to alter flow. I am looking for a low wattage quiet pump with a flow up over 2500 gph.

Yer not going to like it, but...

I've seen nothing but pain from the OM products. Some never work right, others are great for a year then fail. I've probably seen 10 or 12 including one squirt I had on my personal 180g tank, but I don't think I've ever seen one older than 2 years that was still funtional.

I think with the new propeller pumps tunze, vortec and even the new Korallia closed loops really aren't needed anymore.

That all said, if you are going to have a chiller, the velocity series pumps have no external fan, and are water cooled... but dead silent. Maybe drill another drain hole, and have 2 small pumps each going to 2 retun holes and alternate your flow manually with valves.

I just got done sealing a closed loop system because it had a catastrophic failure. It had an OM4 and a Dart Snapper pump.

It did work fine until the problem occurred, but make sure that you have check and/or ball valves with unions for each hole in case something goes wrong or you need to change the OM4.

Yer not going to like it, but...

I've seen nothing but pain from the OM products. Some never work right, others are great for a year then fail. I've probably seen 10 or 12 including one squirt I had on my personal 180g tank, but I don't think I've ever seen one older than 2 years that was still funtional.

I think with the new propeller pumps tunze, vortec and even the new Korallia closed loops really aren't needed anymore.

That all said, if you are going to have a chiller, the velocity series pumps have no external fan, and are water cooled... but dead silent. Maybe drill another drain hole, and have 2 small pumps each going to 2 retun holes and alternate your flow manually with valves.

1. Wouldn't the 1-1.5 in drain work if I split it to return to two closed loop pumps for return? I don't want to drill another drain.

2. I want a clean look in the tank and didnt want to use internal pumps.

+1 on the controllable power heads. I'm building up a 135 and I am going to go with either the koralia or the Vortec (if I can afford it) controllable power heads.

I like grav's idea, but instead of alternating with a valve, put each pump on an alternating timer and cycle back and forth between each pump 5 mins apart or so.

O.k. I have taken into consideration of external pump but all I am asking for is recommendations on closed loop pumps. I am looking for a recommendations on external pumps that put out a high flow (2500 +), low decibel (if possible), and low wattage (want to keep amperage draw as low as possible). The rest I can achieve on my own. I am simply trying to save myself some research time.

I am guessing that the pump will be beneath your tank (since you want it to be quiet). I would go with a reeflo dart. Without knowing your specific piping setup, it is difficult to be sure, but it will likely meet your flow/noise needs.

(edited)

Thanks guys :biggrin: To provide a little more insight into what I "plan " on doing. I want to hard plumb and route the return and drain lines for the closed loop.

All equipment will be placed under the stand: Skimmer, sump, refugium. Stand deminsions 66 in X 28 in x 36 in.

Order of priorirty for the closed loop pump selection:

1. Price:

2. Reliability

3. wattage usage:

3. Flowrate (closed loop): 2500 +/- 500 gpm.

4. Noise level (Lower the better)

I plan on going with a 4 way ocean motion. My tank has a hole cut in each corner of the tank for sequencial or opossed return. The drain line on the tank is near the center overflow. My holes are 1-1/2 diamter. Pitures are worth a thousand words. The tank as shown is upside down.

IMG_1167.jpg

Edited by kingfish

Knock on wood, hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, but the only issue I have had with my OM 8 way was when I got sand into it and it jammed up. I have never had to do any maintenance on it other than cleaning the drum the first time. I run mine with a Reeflo Barracuda and have it exiting (obviously) through 8 returns and it is fed with a single drain. I have had my tank running for almost 3 years now without any issues with it.