Algae...

Karah

So as of the past couple of days the tanks has started to have an algae problem sad.gif Its light green and all over the place. How can I get rid of it???

how much are you running your lights

Karah, you just started your tank, right?

In new tanks there is an algal succession that is a normal part of tank maturation and, provided you keep your water quality high, will go away on its own.

Usually, I use the initial green algae stage as an indicator to do two things, first, begin adding clean up crew members such as some hermit crabs, snails and perhaps an herbivore fish and second, start doing consistently periodic water changes.

If my memory isnt working right, and you didnt just start your tank, ignore what I said and we can work on it.

yeah... just started out. I have a few fish (goby, tang, and two clowns) and a few hermits... maybe 3 or 4. Ive been doing water changes periodically but only about 5 gallons at a time or so. So more often? Or more water removed? Or a bit of both? Lights are running about 12 hrs a day... 4 or so hrs being actinics only.

I would cut the hours back to 8 hours. If you don't have corals that need light there is no need to feed the algae.

It can be used but I tend to see more algae with it's use.

Also, get a nice clean up crew. I usually try to keep one hermit and one snail per gallon (I mix up the snails though). Also, definately start using RODI water.......if you need some, I have a bunch made. Lastly, listen to the other suggestions about the lights. Matter of fact, I'd just leave them off for a day to start and then cut back to 8 hours.

As for the filtered water question... I was told tap water is fine... Im guessing that is a mistake?

I'd like to know who told you this statement. Was it an LFS or a fellow hobbyist?

Edited by zygote2k

I'd like to know who told you this statement. Was it an LFS or a fellow hobbyist?

Sure it might not have been the best advice but no need to start a witch hunt. Tap water can be used if prepared properly. jasonthefilterfreak had a tank of the month last year that used tap water only. I currently use tap water for my fish only system.

I used tap water for about the first year of my tank setup. Once I switched to distilled my algae went away. Made a BIG difference for me. Note, that I did not treat the tap water prior to use. Also, tap water is of different quality in different areas. I think on small tanks it is so easy to use distilled or ro/di there is no reason not too. Once it is setup you are only talking about 5 gal a week.

• 2 months later...

Sure it might not have been the best advice but no need to start a witch hunt. Tap water can be used if prepared properly. jasonthefilterfreak had a tank of the month last year that used tap water only. I currently use tap water for my fish only system.

LOL i'll remember that one