ATO Pump Recommendation

Steve Bory

I'm planning on making an ATO system for my small 12 gallon setup and would like a recommendation on what pump to use. I see that a lot of people online with similar setups are using the Tom Aqua Lifter, but that pump only has 30" of head height. I am planning on pumping up about 4 feet. Does anyone have any recommendation. Also, I'm kind of cheap, so I really don't want to spend too much money if it's possible.

Thanks,

Steve

I use a maxijet 1200 (I think) on my wife's RSM 130 (34 gallons). This is how it's outfitted:

The Maxijet has a 1/2" (outside diameter) nozzle on the output. I took a short length of 1/2" CPVC - about 1" or so - and drilled the inside diameter (ID) out to 1/2" so I could friction-fit the pipe over the maxijet output. Then I glue on a threaded adapter and thread on a John Guest type valve fitting. This allows me to come off the fitting with 1/4" vinyl or ice maker tubing to the tank. The head and the narrow tubing actually keep the flow reasonable. If too fast, the valve could be closed some but, as I said, I keep mine open.

I like the toms pumps because of the small amount of water that they pump. Most skimmers only work correctly within a small water height adjustment. On a taller tank I simply use two pumps, one at ground level and one half way up. They are pretty cheap plus the small output makes the skimmer behave better in a nanotank. Also, if you have an issue you pump a lot less water per min and have a much smaller mess to clean up. Remember to have the exit from the pumps above the water level of the tank so you do not siphon the water out of the tank.

I'm not sure about using a maxijet. I've heard people complain that on such a small tank, the water comes so quick that by the time the float switches react to being filled, too much water has entered the tank (I'm still not sure how that makes sense with a mechanical float switch, but whatever).

I hadn't thought of using two Tom pumps in a chain. That sounds like a pretty good idea that I will need to investigate further.

Thank you both for your advice.

Yea, the maxijet is probably going to be too much water for a 12 gallon tank. I think you're going to do better with a peristaltic dosing pump of some sort for your application. It's going to be a little expensive, but you don't have to worry about head height and it will do the small amounts that you'll be dosing.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/drew-s-doser-peristaltic-dosing-pump.html

Yea, the maxijet is probably going to be too much water for a 12 gallon tank. I think you're going to do better with a peristaltic dosing pump of some sort for your application. It's going to be a little expensive, but you don't have to worry about head height and it will do the small amounts that you'll be dosing.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/dosing-pumps-and-auto-top-off-systems/drew-s-doser-peristaltic-dosing-pump.html

At 4 feet and through a 1/4" delivery tube, it's actually not too much flow for an ATO to respond properly. You'd be surprised at how the flow is reduced. I use it on a 34 and probably can only deliver a cup or two per minute. (BTW, it could be a Maxijet 600, 900, or 1200 in my reservoir. I can't remember.)

That's still more than an aqualifter, but I've had issues with aqualifters in the past (nothing that routine maintenance wouldn't take care of) and, as noted in the original post, a single aqualifter's not all that good at the presumed head pressure.

Ironically, I use a peristaltic on the big system which carries somewhere between 300 and 350 gallons in it.

OK...I'm thinking about getting one of those BRS dosing pumps after christmas when money is not so tight and maybe buying a maxijet next week for temporary. I figure it might be good to have anyways for doing water changes (I have hardwood floors and I splash water all over the place with my current method. ;) ). Thanks everyone.

Can you run the Tunze Osmolator pump off a separate 9v power supply? They're capable of pumping up to 7.22 ft. You could pair it with your own DIY ATO switch(es), or pick up an ATO unit from autotopoff.com and run the Osmolator pump attached to the 9v power supply with that. Depending on whether you have an unused power supply lying around the house, you could get out for $70 or so.

A peristaltic dosing pump would be better, but more expensive.