steveoutlaw's 150g cube

steveoutlaw

I think steve is just recyling build photos now. Was this something you built back in 2008?!

haha just kidding. Very nice build. Have you done anything with the stand or did you keep it open?

Yep......just on a much smaller scale back then! I've started skinning the stand and will start painting it next weekend.

Very nice setup!! That idea of the in tank sump is sweet. I hear ya on avoiding spills to keep the other half happy. I'm planning a tank with the same dimensions so I am tagging along.

What are you using for lighting on this tank? Are you happy with the amount of light with that depth?

What is the water depth in your sump and does that cause issues with getting the water level in the skimmer right?

I'm actually using 36 3w LEDs to light the tank. Everything on the bottom seems to be happy, including the anemone. I've got the water in my sump at about 10". The skimmer does fine with this, but will overflow if the water level rises. I'll be getting one of the Avast skimmate collectors with the auto shutoff very soon.

• 5 months later...

Ok, it's been a few months so I figure it's time to add some updated pics. These were taken with an el-cheapo camera so the quality isn't that great.

Front:

150gcube010.jpg

150gcube011.jpg

150gcube012.jpg

150gcube013.jpg

Right side:

150gcube014.jpg

Left side:

150gcube015.jpg

Ok, This is a bummer.......I need to get someone over here to take some pics of my tank. The corals are so much more colorful than these pictures show.

Dude-

I went to your house once or twice to trade things and I was always impressed with the whole place, tank(s) too. I gotta ask- what kind of contraption is that thing built into the back of your tank? At the very least, it should be painted black so you don't see it. Better fish out that lettuce clip too. Other than that, you got the beginnings of a nice tank with a nice rock formation.

Dude-

I went to your house once or twice to trade things and I was always impressed with the whole place, tank(s) too. I gotta ask- what kind of contraption is that thing built into the back of your tank? At the very least, it should be painted black so you don't see it. Better fish out that lettuce clip too. Other than that, you got the beginnings of a nice tank with a nice rock formation.

Thanks man. I do need to get that thing out. I had completely forgotten that it fell in there.

Steve, you could cut a thin piece of black acrylic and put it in the overflow behind the glass.

Well, the originaly plan was just to let the corraline cover it but I ended up with a billion astrinas so the corraline never grows. I'm going to pick up a Harlequin shrimp this week to take care of that problem.

are you using tunzes? how you like it? is it 6045?~

Actually I have 2 6055s and 1 6105. I'm looking to get rid of the 6105 and replace it with 2 more 6055s. Since the tank is only 3' long the 6105 has just a bit too much kick.

• 2 months later...

^I think the answer to that question is yes.

Steve, I am sorry to see it go.