Best paint for wood

steveoutlaw

I'm skinning the stand on my cube and am looking for the best type of paint for wood. I'm doing the stand in black, because the rim and silicone on the tank are black. I would figure that spraying would be the best bet since I don't want any brush strokes visible. I was planning on spraying the skin black and then spraying on varnish. Any help from you DIY'ers is appreciated.

Roller?

Properly applied shouldn't show brush strokes...............but............to avoid the issues with spray (PITA to keep it on target) you could use a roller. Come in sizes all the way down to a couple inches wide.

Here is an idea on the 3reef.com forum that may interest you, basically uses a product for resealing formica counter tops.

counter top coating

I have painted my last couple DIY stand black with a good quality bristle brush using black rust-oleum. Been very satisfied. No brush strokes.

gallery_696_10_99760.jpg

Steve, one of the mistakes that people make when they're painting is not getting enough paint on their bush. If you feel your bush drag (even a little), time to get more paint on it. If you have enough paint on your bush, the paint will fill in the brush strokes. The easiest way to ensure that is to tap your brush on the side (inside!!!) of the can rather than scrape it. Remember that you shouldn't be exhausted after painting something as small as your stand and you'll be alright.

If it were me painting my stand and I wanted to make the best finish possible, I'd use Imron polyurethane enamel. It ain't cheap, but it is extremely durable. Sand the stand, 2 ooats of primer with sanding between coats, then 3 coats of Imron and sanding, then 3 coats of clear and sanding between coats.

You'll have the best looking stand anywhere.

If it were me painting my stand and I wanted to make the best finish possible, I'd use Imron polyurethane enamel. It ain't cheap, but it is extremely durable. Sand the stand, 2 ooats of primer with sanding between coats, then 3 coats of Imron and sanding, then 3 coats of clear and sanding between coats.

You'll have the best looking stand anywhere.

Generally, when I paint something, I will put on more primer than the paint because primer is usually just cheap paint anyway. I've had excellent results with this:

Zinsser Primer

And they should be able to color it for you, close to the color that you need. Then cover with a Gloss or Semi-gloss. I doubt that you'll need to use sanding sealer when you're done though.

I think I'm just going to stain the stand skin to match the canopy. Just too much effort for the other.......plus, my current stained stand looks good with the current black trimmed tank on it.

I'm skinning the stand on my cube and am looking for the best type of paint for wood. I'm doing the stand in black, because the rim and silicone on the tank are black. I would figure that spraying would be the best bet since I don't want any brush strokes visible. I was planning on spraying the skin black and then spraying on varnish. Any help from you DIY'ers is appreciated.

[/quote

What are you using to clean up the stand now, and what's on it? I'm planning on removing what I think is an ancient coat of varnish from an old stand and I'm wondering what would be good to use, preferably with minimal effort involved.

When its cleaned up, I was going to stain it sort of a dark maple and then put on a few coats of varnish used for marine applications. Does anyone have any experience with stains covered by varnish?

Thanks,

Mark

What are you using to clean up the stand now, and what's on it? I'm planning on removing what I think is an ancient coat of varnish from an old stand and I'm wondering what would be good to use, preferably with minimal effort involved.

When its cleaned up, I was going to stain it sort of a dark maple and then put on a few coats of varnish used for marine applications. Does anyone have any experience with stains covered by varnish?

Mark, just about any paint stripper will do the trick, although, the "non-toxic" stuff takes longer to work, then just scrape it with a putty knife. After you have everything stripped off, take it outside, and squirt it down with your hose. Let it dry. At this point, you can use ordinary Clorox to clean up streaking (just spray it on straight, then squirt it off with the hose after a few minutes). Let it dry again. Sand it. Now you can stain it. I would use Valspar's shellac based stuff or their marine grade stuff for finishing.