what eats caulerpa?

El Camaron

what type of urchin mogurnda?

Rob, i pluck it every week and it just grows back, its very rooty so once it grabs a hold of something its over and taking the rock out is a no no since it has a clam in on it and other corals encusted.

I tought about a small yellow tang but i dont think they eat it when they are that small or do they?

my tank is only 14 gallons, and anything i put to eat it would just be temporary.

As far as I know it is a natural part of the tang diet and they should eat it at any size, it might take a little coaxing when they are smaller, but I still think they would eat it. I said scopas because unlike the other zebrasoma he stays smaller.

What kind of caulerpa is it? I had Caulerpa mexicana at one point (in an earlier tank). Removing it by hand with the aid of a bamboo skewer aided a lot in clearing it up. It took me about 2 weeks to get rid of it once I had my mind made up to do so. Unfortunately, it grew so fast that my tang was unable to keep up with it. So hand removal was the option taken.

what type of urchin mogurnda?

Both variegated (Lytechinus variegatus) and rock-boring (Echinometra lucunter) urchins have eliminated all macroalgae, desirable and undesirable, from my tanks. When MichaelG had a caulerpa infestation, he has good luck with a pincushion urchin.

I grow that in my fuge and it's very fast growing. A tang should wipe it out though. My Scopas gets a little psychotic whenever a bit makes it into the tank. He turns dark brown and starts stompin about the tank chasing off my Coral Beauty whenever it gets nearby. But then they share the algae eat from both ends ala "Lady and the Tramp". I haven't seen them kiss... yet...

I also have a tiny long spine urchin that eats everything grean, brown, and purple it comes across. I use him to control the cholerpa population. It's coral safe with SPS and LPS and Zoes as far as I know. He should be great for your nano provided you have everything nailed down good. You can't have mine, but I usually see at least one in the LFSs around town.

I grow that in my fuge and it's very fast growing. A tang should wipe it out though. My Scopas gets a little psychotic whenever a bit makes it into the tank. He turns dark brown and starts stompin about the tank chasing off my Coral Beauty whenever it gets nearby.

Cool, so it's like catnip for tangs. Tang-nip.

:biggrin:

Unless you get the roots though it will come back - consider manual removal - see where it spruts back - prune that off and cover with putty. Should keep it away then

I believe API makes an algae killing liquid, I used it in an old tank that had the same problem. BUT.... It will killl cheato too, didnt have any adverse effects on the corals or fish.. It really did kill it off though..

I believe API makes an algae killing liquid, I used it in an old tank that had the same problem. BUT.... It will killl cheato too, didnt have any adverse effects on the corals or fish.. It really did kill it off though..

Yea, I have used it, and it works. Make sure you get the MARINE version, as there is also a freshwater version. They are NOT the same. Start dose small and increase SLOWLY. I don't have any macro in my tank, so I am not sure about the effects. But, it did not hurt any of my inverts, corals, or fish....

Sea hares. It's a staple in their natural diet. Would not take very long and they eat it all the way down to the root system (although obviously not what's below the roots). I have one for school that decimated the caulerpa that was added to school (as well as the hair algae).