Battery op air pumps

treesprite

So, I asked yesterday in Pet Smart if they had any battery-operated air pumps. The girl in the fish dept told me that they no longer sell them, because they "suck all the water out of the tanks". Her explanation included the example that during the snow storm, the store "put them in all of the fish tanks and all of the fish died", as in they died because of the air pumps. I need to stay out of those places.

Edited by treesprite

They are not always the best trained or very knowledgeable. When I go in I always ask them simple questions just to see how they answer them. I normally laugh on the inside at the responses I get.

when i was at pet smart out of the given 4-5 associates that we had working in pet care at any given time 2-3 tops would be decently competent in all the specialities reptile, fish, bird, small animal its not for lack of pet smart trying most of the time a its hard to find people to work in that deparment, that being said batter operated air pumps were NEVER part of the power outtage policy.

forrest what our little special friend was porobably trying to get at is that if the pump is lower than the tank when the batteries die in the pump its going to back siphon if they're is no check vavle inplave, 98% of people dont eveb know what a check valve is. so important lesson for everyone here if youre using a battery operated air pump you need a friggen check vavle

I keep mine on my lights, above the tank, with airstone hanging down into the tanks. I never put much thought into it. It just made sense to me.

I keep mine on my lights, above the tank, with airstone hanging down into the tanks. I never put much thought into it. It just made sense to me.

That is what I do too. Check valves are unreliable, and they seriously take power from the pump. Just keep the pump above the water.

If you are looking for one, Aquarium One had a pile of battery backup pumps by the register. At least they did last week.

I have one of these and its great, pretty long life too..

http://www.aquacave....backup-200.html

I have the exact same one - works great. I just wish it was as quiet as a true whisper model. I have mine in my living room, so i always strive to get components that are completely silent.

I can still hear / feel the vibration the motor makes. While were on the topic - anyone have good suggestions to deaden the vibration on these type of air pumps?

I have the exact same one - works great. I just wish it was as quiet as a true whisper model. I have mine in my living room, so i always strive to get components that are completely silent.

I can still hear / feel the vibration the motor makes. While were on the topic - anyone have good suggestions to deaden the vibration on these type of air pumps?

I think the typical solution is to put them on something foam like a mouse pad.

I wanted the pump for a disabled client whose electricity was out for nearly 24 hours. Originally I went over and rustled around her water for 5 minutes by hand. When I couldn't get the pump, I told her to just do that once in a while. 5 hours later her electricity was still out, so I ended up going in her apt at 2am to get the fish and take them home with me (it's just some guppies and a cory). The fish didn't look in such good shape - 3 were gasping at the top of the water, and 2 that were on the bottom I thought might die, but everyone seems to be ok now.

I honestly don't think the woman really knew what she was talking about.. like she had information about an event but interpreted it incorrectly. But even so, would a pet store honestly sit them on the ground without check valves, for every one of their tanks?

But even so, would a pet store honestly sit them on the ground without check valves, for every one of their tanks?

Forrest, my faith in humanity diminished everyday that I drive to work. Remember that the mean IQ is 100 points. This means that every other person that you meet is dumber than average. Besides, Jason is a rare exception (he actually knows what he's doing ans is smart enough to read to answer questions that he doesn't know.) to "fish guys" are the local mega pet store. Many of those folks are surprise that fish actually have to be kept in water.

Remember that the mean IQ is 100 points. This means that every other person that you meet is dumber than average.

That is way too funny and sadly true. I'll have to pass that statement on to my son - he'll get a good chuckle out of it.