Marine Scene Premade SW

Guest FloridaShock

Guest FloridaShock

Hello. I'm getting ready to setup a 55g and I decided to use the premade SW that Marine Scene sells. They sell 5g containers that are nice but they're like $15 each. Does anyone else use this water and if so what do you use to transport it home? Thanks.

I'm not to familiar with thier water, but if it is just ro water mixed with salt I'd pass or if it's cycled water through thier system I'd grab a container to start out my water. But either way for the bulk water It would be cheaper and easier to get an RO unit and good quality Salt mix.

I bought a 5 gal bucket of salt a few months back when I started my tank and I'm down to a half bucket. This was due to a combination of water changes (was doing 10-20% weekly in the beginning) and refilling the quarantine tank a few times. If I had to buy water at $3/gal that would for sure put a hurt on my coral fund.

Guest FloridaShock

I think it would be easier to just buy it premade. It's new water that hasn't been used. The water isn't $3/gallon it's like $1. The container is $15. Thanks for your reply :) .

When I started my 29g saltwater tank two months ago, I got the premade SW from Marine Scene. It's very convenient for a newbie like me to not to worry about the water quality. I kept buying water(about $6 for 5g) for about one month. Later on, I decide to buy a RO/DI filter through Ebay to save some money in the long run. Besides, I don't have to drive to Herndon all the time. BTW, the filter can also be used for drinking water.

Here is what I got:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4362973106&rd=1

Hope it helps

--Tom

Do yourself a favor and get a refractometer to make sure your getting 1.025 +/-.005 saltwater, as LFS's are known to cut costs by running in the 1.019-1.020 range.

HTH

Glenn

Guest FloridaShock

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to go with the premade sw either way. I just want to know if anyone had any suggestions on what to put it in for the trip home. I'll be sure to check the salinity.

Guest FloridaShock

That sounds like just what I'm looking for, thanks.

I'll be sure to let you know if I need any help. I'm hoping to have the tank setup by the end of this month.

Blake

Guest RED DOG

I think Wal-mart sells 6gal. Plastic water-and or-gas jugs for 4 or 5 bucks. Just don't try to fill your car with them full of water!

Guest FloridaShock

Thanks for your suggestion. I went to Home Depot and found the buckets that Steve recommended and they're exactly what I was looking for.

Blake

Guest killrblue

I got the Blue 7 Gallon water jugs from Walmart for around 5 bux. That's what I used when I used to get water from Marine Scene. Yes it does add up within the year for purchasing RO/DI. I just recently bought the RO/DI filter from FilterDirect on Ebay. Now I just need a faucet adapter to be totally transportable.

RO/DI 6 Stage Filter

I second the idea of getting an RO/DI. It is cheaper and easier in the long run. Further it provides an added level of security. What are do you do if have no extra water and lose 5 gallons Sunday afternoon? LFS is closed and you have a meeting Monday morning. It could be days before you get the water level back up and you filter / skimmer running again. However if this is what you plan to do...

When I had a tank in the office I used to make water at home and lug it in for make-up water and changes. I used "free" 5 gal watter cooler jugs with plastic wrap and a rubberband as a top. They even have a nice handle. It worked "okay" but was such a pain after the first few months that I vowed never to have a tank more than 5 gal outside my house.

I second the idea of getting an RO/DI. It is cheaper and easier in the long run. Further it provides an added level of security. What are do you do if have no extra water and lose 5 gallons Sunday afternoon? LFS is closed and you have a meeting Monday morning.  It could be days before you get the water level back up and you filter / skimmer running again.    However if this is what you plan to do...

When I had a tank in the office I used to make water at home and lug it in for make-up water and changes.  I used "free" 5 gal watter cooler jugs with plastic wrap and a rubberband as a top. They even have a nice handle.  It worked "okay" but was such a pain after the first few months that I vowed never to have a tank more than 5 gal outside my house.

27318[/snapback]

Hey we all know that having a RO unit and mixing your own SW is ideal cost-wise and sometimes hassle-wise but knowing Blake's situation it is just not possible for him right now. Blake - if you want some RO/DI water - not SW-mixed but for topoff let me know. I can have ten gallons or so available for you when you need it.

Hey mods - any idea why Blake (FloridaShock) is just BB member? I'm pretty sure he's a high schooler so he should qualify for the free student membership. I sent him over to this board when he bought a tank off of me but it's possible that he didn't sign up in a way that would give him the appropriate membership.

Guest killrblue

Hey Steve,

Your LR is turning out great and the Zoos and Shrooms are mutiplying. Got a loaner digi cam and will be taking and posting pics tonight.

Thank again,

John

SDE 219,

Saw your response to Blake. How do I change from BB member to WAMAS member - I joined at the meeting at kilmer School. Yesterday was my first time on the site. Thanks for your comments yesterday re. lighting. Dano

SDE 219,

Saw your response to Blake.  How do I change from BB member to WAMAS member - I joined at the meeting at kilmer School.  Yesterday was my first time on the site.  Thanks for your comments yesterday re. lighting.  Dano

27362[/snapback]

Dano:

I would contact "Gatortailale" - Craig Kuhn. He handles membership issues. I was just making the effort for Blake cause I thought me might not mention it.

John:

I'm looking forward to some pics. I was pretty reluctant to sell that rock off. Those were some pretty cool zoos and shrooms. If you are ever able to frag them or if they spread to another rock be sure to let me know. Glad to the rock is working out for you though since it really wasn't doing too much for me in that tank....I can't wait to have my full system up.

Steve