Need protein skimmer recommendation for 250 gallon tank

kingfish

(edited)

I have a 250 tank. I need a recommendation on a protein skimmer. I'm looking for best value skimmer. I am considering both internal and external skimmers. Sump hasn't been built yet..

Edited by kingfish

I like the ASM as well for value, but I would go with the G3 which is big enough for 250Gal system.

Stocking load is a big factor and that hasn't been mentioned. I would go with an ASM G4 or G4+. If you plan to have a light to medium livestock load then I would go with the smaller less expensive G3 or the DIY CS-1 cone mentioned above. We all know the CS-1 cone will come with great local tech support.

swc 250, super reef internal 3000. i've got an old school euroreef 12-2 with two pumps that is churning out a ton of grunge on my 180. really depends on how much you feed, what you plan on keeping (sps versus lps versus mixed), what your budget is and what restrictions you have (under tank, separate fish room, etc). the beckett skimmers are hard to top for pure production but power consumption is an issue and the size can be an issue if you don't have a separate fish room. i was looking for a skimmer under 600 for my system and looked hard at the sro3000 and a used deltec 702 and would have pulled the trigger except for getting the euroreef really cheaply.

ASM will is the best bang for the buck imo. Easy to do recirc mod on as well. The larger octopus skimmers are also great. Haven't seen an "Avast" skimmer yet, but I know they're a sponsor here and perhaps Justin can chime in. I think he works with them, but don't quote me on that. Sean at FnF can get you set up with an Octopus too. Coralvue distributes them now, so take a look at their site too for more info.

I'd go with the Avast. Talk to Justin about whether you should go with 2 of those or see if they will custom cut some bigger parts for you.

If you are truly looking for a best value, I would go with the avast or a DAS EX skimmer. These are identical to the older Deltec designs but for a much cheaper price. They are excellent performers and come fairly cheap. There are a couple for sale over on RC right now that would fit your need.

(edited)

You know guys that avast skimmer looking pretty good. I like to build stuff and this seems easily enought to put together since I don't know how to fabricate acrylic yet. Like I said, yet, or at least i haven't tried. I will be going for a LPS tank with a heavy bioload (many fish). My budget? There is no budget, I didn't plan on this, a coworker of a friend basically gave it to me. Long story but at the end I am very thankful.

I really don't want to spend a lot of money, so I will keep my eyes out for oppurtunity and my ability to fabricate. All I have at this time the tank, a berlin skimmer, and about 100 lbs of pink fiji sand. I also have a 90 gallon, that I've had for over 3 years. I will transfer everything over when set up. I am in no rush becuase i want this done right. The acrylic tank has 1 inch think wall. 64" Length / 24" width / 36'' Height. There is an overflow in the center of the tank. Tank is still crated. I need to buff out scratches. Product recommendation to remove scratches? I called NAGA but he hasn't returned my call yet.

Right now what am I doing:

within next two weeks

1. Have a dedicated circuit put in breaker box

2. a drain and water supply ran to tank location

3. Starting to design out stand to support the tank.

Lights I am sure I want to go with MH and VHO. debating on 2-250W or 2-400W. Leaning towards 250W. Tank will be located in family room with a concreate floor.

Skimmer question comes from me wanting get the best value. What is best value to me? Low power consumption and highly efficent. I am tanking the approach that I can select everything else around a good skimmer(s). I would like experienced reefers guidance and take even if it down to at least the top three skimmers I can select after that.

Goal:

Heavy bioload capable system with LPS and 4-6 inches sugar fine sand bed with easy detruis removal in main tank. Everything must fit under tank

Edited by kingfish

I have gs1 and love it!! By far the best I have had. Well built and customer service is great...plus the price is awesome, compared to other cones