Jan's 5 gallon softie &non photosynthetic tank

Jan

(edited)

I knocked down my 10 gal planted and decided to go with a smaller, 5 gal, for my carnation corals ;Dendronephthya, Scleronepthea sp and my sun coral(Tubastrea), dendrophyllia, softies and gorgonians.

I've had 2 of the 3 carnation corals for over 2 months now. They're doing great! They've grown about 1/4 inch since I got them. The bubble gum pink one is a frag I got from wfoxfox (Thanks Wayne) a little over a month ago. It's grown almost double in size since I got it.

Notice how my sun corals are open during the day. I've trained them to open during the day by feeding them during the day only.

This tank is fed at least 3 times a day. I feed frozen cyclopeeze, rotifers, oyster feast and phytofeast in no particular order. I have a tiny powerhead and a HOB with carbon. I also have 3 different types of macro which greatly helps in stabilizing chemistry and it serves as a place for pod growth along with various small piles of rubble rock throughout the tank.

Water changes will be about 1/2qt every 7 to 10 days.

med_gallery_2631914_809_328076.jpgtn_gallery_2631914_809_878039.jpgtn_gallery_2631914_809_71492.jpgtn_gallery_2631914_809_494225.jpgtn_gallery_2631914_809_792220.jpg

Edited by Jan

love the tank, that's kind of where I want to go with my 29 gal. Are you finding the carnations hard to keep?

Thanks!

Nice job Jan looks spectacular, I love the variety of grogornian

I'm feeding the tank, for the carnations, at least 3 times a day. So far so good.

love the tank, that's kind of where I want to go with my 29 gal. Are you finding the carnations hard to keep?

Thank you. That's the little frag that could. It keeps wanting to open. It swells up when I feed the tank but it still wont open completely. I'm wondering if this is all it does.

That looks awesome! How is that little dendro frag doing in the corner?

Thanks David. That coral is one of my favorites. It didn't take long to train it.

Very nice Jan, great polyp extension on the Sun coral for the daytime.

That tank is awesome... was thinking of doing something similar.... now i might just have to!

Laura

Good for you for being attentive enough to feed the corals like that - I would love to keep some gorgonians that just happen to be non-photosynthetic, but I think they would starve out of my laziness.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Even with all the feedings, high flow and water changes these guys just melted away. I have one left. A purple carnation. The bubble gum pink that started to sprout a baby just melted. Then the orange carnation followed about 2 weeks later and now the purple is whithering away. These corals are truly high maintenance, a crap shoot. They lasted about 3-4 months. My chili coral is still doing very well. I've had it for almost a year now. Good luck to the next reefer that takes on this task.

J

Edited by Jan