WAMAS Winter Meeting

Gatortailale

FYI:

Over 110 people came to the WAMAS winter meeting & heard an excellent talk by Steve Pro.

Special Thanks to Geocorals for coming with a tank to sell corals. A lot of trades went on all day, as evidenced by 6 pages (30 posts a page) in the frag trade thread.

Thanks for coming out! Nice to meet you all and put faces to names.

Guest D33rex

I second that, very impressed with my first meeting. I also got more trades than I ever bargained for.....im basically going to have to rescape my tank tommorow. Thanks to all.

agreed, wow what a large meeting. thanks to all who traded with me and or gave me frags. if i missed anyone i am sorry. pls let me know.

Guest mikesroth

Yes it was another great meeting, and speaker, we really enjoyed ourselves. :) Can't wait to see what we got looks like in the morning!!!

Only thing, next time I must beat that little girl in winning the raffles!!!!! :D

Thanks again everyone!!!

Guest Ghazanfar Ghori

Thank you for the free frags folks. They may be your 'weeds' but they

all go towards helping the newcomers gain some experience.

Really really appreciated.

Thanks again...

Guest cjm033

thanks for anyone that bought stuff from me,traded, or gave me stuff. also thank you to the people at wamas that put it together. it was an awesome meeting and well worth going.

Guest clownfish4

Yes, an excellent meeting indeed. I'm really glad I learned about looking for the red mouth of the copperbands since I am looking into them. Thanks to bededog, ousnakebyte, and gudgreef for the trades and Howard for some of the food he won. And a special thanks to our officers and volunteers who put this all together.

Killer meeting, the turn out was really impressive! It was nice to meet more people and put some names with some screen names :D and to see so many new faces. Thanks to everyone that traded with me or recieved some freebies.

Thanks to Steven for an awesome and entertaining talk. I will never forget the description of getting stung by an lionfish, and now know what to do if it were ever to happen....

It was great to see so much coral exchanging hands yesterday and such a strong turnout. I know my cooler came home stuffed, and everything made it through the night just fine. Was up till about midnight making sure everything was mounted in snug (I didn't get home until about 9:00).

ousnakebyte- the pea-sized "superman" is frickin' RAD! It is already my wifes favorite coral. It will make it through just fine, and I have it in a safe spot. The other montipora is super nice also.

To everyone else who swapped generously, many many thanks.

So many REEFERS! Excellent turnout and a Great crowd......

Thanks again to Lee Stearns for saving me a frag of his "Devils Hand". My raffle win is perched high up in my tank and doing great.

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Unni

Guest killrblue

Great meeting and turnout. I won 2 cap frags from the raffle but I didn't know who it came from or what the names of the frags. I'm also having some difficulty attaching it to rock. Do I superglue or use epoxy? I'm only used to attaching polyps and softies.

Thanks to all who traded with me.

Killrblue: I personally use super glue gel. It does have to be the gel type to work well. I take whatever I am going to glue the frag to out and let it air dry for a minute or so and then add some superglue gel. Then I attach the frag and let it sit for another minute or so and then I place the frag back in the water. Some people are particular about how they attach their caps so they get maximum whirling etc., so if you are concerned about that maybe someone else can chime in. The caps do seem to encrust more quickly if you glue part of the leading edge to the rock as opposed to the cut (fragged) edge or the bottom of the cap.

David

couple ways to attach-

blot frag on a paper towel and put on a gob of superglue gel. did in a bowl of tank water to "make a skin" then press onto where you want to stick it and hold in place. Sometimes it doesn;t work but if you wiggle it a little at first that usually gets the skin of glue to pop.

Second way is using 2 part plumbers epoxy (or the coral epoxy- same thing). kneed up a small amount, the I like to place the cap frag into a small groove of the rock and smoosh the epoxy in to hold it there. THe rougher the surface the better the epoxy works- it isn't glue, but rather like a putty that hardens.

Third way, which I don't recommend is just to wedge it in a crack real well. Too often something will knock it out before it takes hold.

All the cap frags came from Craig Kuhn aka Gaitortailale. The history behind them- red one originiated from Sanjay Joshi, and the green with purple rim (if that was in there) might be the imfamous leng sy cap.

I just wanted to saw that I had a great time! You guys put together a well run and coordinated meeting with a large, lively, and educated crowd. I am looking forward to coming back and spending more time there for MACNA.

few things:

Welcome to all new memebers. I was delighted to see how many new hands were raised when Steve asked who was there for the first time.

Congratulations WAMAS officers for another "great job done".

Thank you all for the frags traded, they are doing fine in my 125G.

Raffle: I am so happy I won the Kalk reactor after missing the DIY Building Party due to overseas work. Chip it is working like a champ, no leaks.

This is your CLUB let's make it happen again.

Jacob :)

Great Function to all and appreciate all in their efforts!

Congrat's to Doug for his LANDSLIDE Victory! :D

Great to meet everyone again including new faces Michele, Paul, Chris, Sam & More!

Hopefully, one of these days, I actually have enough time to make the WHOLE Meeting for a change!

GREAT Speaker by the way, Steven very informative and very entertaining!

BTW, Congrat's on great picture at the end! :)

Howard

I would like to thank all the little people I used as rungs in the ladder to climb to my current prestige. I really hope all this power does not corrupt. :rolleyes:

Thanks Howard, I think.

Congrat's to Doug for his LANDSLIDE Victory! :D

:)

Howard

26878[/snapback]

Congratulations. Coudn't think of a better person to have won it either.

We're all happy for you.

Chip it is working like a champ, no leaks.

That's because you haven't gone out of town yet! haha

I use a digital timer and it runs 2 x pd for like 10mins.