Dwarf Angels

MBVette

What are your guys feelings on dwarf angels in a reef tank? I am considering a flame angel or a coral beauty, but have heard they are not very good inhabitants of reef tanks. Is it a general rule that they will eat corals or is it the exception?

Thanks

All but maybe one dwarf angel I have ever had was a polyp nipper. They never killed or ate the corals, just nipped at them so they would stop displaying good polyp extension.

Angelfish are great until they randomly decide to taste your coral. After that, they continue to nip your coral forever.

I have had potters, flame, elibi, etc. All nipped corals after some time and were a HUGE pain to remove. I emphaisze HUGE because they are not good fish to trap so you normally have to remove EVERYTHING in your tank.

Just my opinion...

I had a coral beauty in with some shrooms, polyps, and gorgonians, and he was fine. I would look carefully at the coral beauty if you decide to buy one, as every single one I have seen in fish stores have some type of white fungus on their fins - this was the eventual cause of my coral beauty's death. This could just be an exception, but I would still be careful.

Have had a flame with SPS, LPS, and various softies for about a year and a half now and it has always been a model citizen.

FYI you 98% you don't have to remove everything to catch a fish, its plenty safe will all but the biggest tanks and all but the most demanding corals/critters to drain the tank into a container(s) until the water level is but a few inches deep and net the fish

Don't do it! Especially if you have any sps. Had a coral beauty and it harassed my corals endlessly.

Got better color and polyp extension once i rehomed him.

Laura

I had a Coral Beauty, Flame, and Key Hole. I never had polyp extension on my SPS. They really went after my Scoly. I would say stay clear of them.

Cherub (or pygmy) angels have a good reputation for leaving corals alone. I really like these fish.