System Upgrade

Lynn,

Your project is really moving along! It looks like one of the tanks in the corner is blocking an outlet that sits just about the countertop. If you intend to leave the tank there, I would consider moving the outlet up higher so you can reach it better. Plus, that will help keep saltwater out of the outlet in case you ever have a spill...hate to see a small overflow get into the outlet and trip the breaker, which always happens when you're away for a few days.

Jon

Yeah i sorta messed up when i picked the places for the outlets. I am hoping all will be O.K.. I have plenty of room to get to the sockets. Mostly everything in that room will be on a DJ board's so i will have easy access to turn the power off to individual pieces of equipment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has been a little slow, but we are still moving forward. We got the vinyl backing on the tanks. We also painted the bottom of the frag tanks. We built the stand that is going to hold the water vats ( 100 gal. salt, and 65 gal. fresh ). We painted the exterior wall of the frag room to brighten up the basement a little. My dad helped me run a 1/2" water line for the RO/DI unit. A few of the tanks have the plumbing completed. I ran into a problem with the Tiger Shark pump. We plumbed it to the 90 gal. sump and it was really noisy. Took the pump to Joe at Fish World. It has been a little slow getting Joe to look at it. Finally after a week i got word that it needs a new bearing. Joe is sending it off tomorrow, hope it get back pretty quick. If i forgot something i will post it later. Here are a few pics.

Water vat stand

017-1-2.jpg

RO/DI unit

030-1.jpg

Anna wanted to label the tanks. What Anna wants, Anna gets.

039.jpg

025.jpg

Here is a couple of Anna's wood burning pieces. She seems like she is not happy with them, but i think she did great.

018.jpg

024.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a few days since we have been able to do anything to the room. Anna has had a pretty rough time the past week and a half. She wanted to try to get some stuff done today so we worked on getting some of the lighting hung. Here is a few pics.

DSC04121.jpg

DSC04122.jpg

We replaced some stop light at work. I decided to take them apart and try to use the reflectors out of them. Here is how they turned out. These lights are going to be used on the refugiums. They cleaned up like new.

DSC04129.jpg

DSC04125.jpg

DSC04124.jpg

DSC04126.jpg

DSC04128.jpg

Still have one more of these to make and have to do our T-5 retro. Will be working on that tomorrow. Want it to be noted for the record i really appreciate and love you Anna, Thanks for all you have done without complaining at all.

• 3 weeks later...

We got a little work done this weekend. Worked on the plumbing, and some lighting stuff . Here are a few pics.

001-5-4.jpg

005-2-5.jpg

007-2-4.jpg

017-1-3.jpg

003-2-4.jpg

014-1-3.jpg

6 39 watt T-5 retro for LPS frag tank

009-1-3.jpg

011-1-3.jpg

1 of the 2 UV that is going to be on the system

012-4-3.jpg

The other is going to be a 36 watt Turbo Twist 12x

Fill free to chime in on stuff you see that you like or dislike.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have made some good progress the last few days. We have water going to 6 tanks. Plan is to get the 265 on the system on Thursday. That means it would be complete, except a few odds and ends. Here are a few pics.

022-1.jpg

058-1-1.jpg

063-1.jpg

066-1.jpg

055-2-1.jpg

057-1-1.jpg

074-1.jpg

Looking very nice, cant believe all the progress, its even bigger then i had pictured. I still need to come down and visit, inlaws are in remington which is actually not too far from you (have another friend with a dock on lake anna just inside orange) so i may hit you up one weekend when visiting the inlaws and see if you need help or just to check it out.

One question on sumps/refugiums. Ive seen a few fairly large systems (2-5000g) and have notice that almost all of them have a large live rock bin just filled with liverock and fish for filtration with no ligh except that which leaks out over the room, you doing anything like this or just the macro/DSB tanks? I have pics if you want to see others most where just in the big watering bins (big black bins)

another thing that you may or may not think of to save on power would be to put the MH for the frag tank on a light mover, that way one light could cover at least 2 tanks, seen this on some other big systems to get their electricity bill down some.

just thinking of things, could all be dumb suggestions but though i would share some of my stupidity haha.

If you ever see anything in my tank you want a frag of let me know, id love to see how much better it grows in yours.

Looking very nice, cant believe all the progress, its even bigger then i had pictured. I still need to come down and visit, inlaws are in remington which is actually not too far from you (have another friend with a dock on lake anna just inside orange) so i may hit you up one weekend when visiting the inlaws and see if you need help or just to check it out.

One question on sumps/refugiums. Ive seen a few fairly large systems (2-5000g) and have notice that almost all of them have a large live rock bin just filled with liverock and fish for filtration with no ligh except that which leaks out over the room, you doing anything like this or just the macro/DSB tanks? I have pics if you want to see others most where just in the big watering bins (big black bins)

another thing that you may or may not think of to save on power would be to put the MH for the frag tank on a light mover, that way one light could cover at least 2 tanks, seen this on some other big systems to get their electricity bill down some.

just thinking of things, could all be dumb suggestions but though i would share some of my stupidity haha.

If you ever see anything in my tank you want a frag of let me know, id love to see how much better it grows in yours.

I have a tank set up that is devided. One side for live rock rubble and the other bio balls. No light except what spills into it from the room.

Edited by lhcorals

i love downdraft skimmers...miss you guys tho :sad:

We will be seeing you next week. I love the down draft too. Just took a while to get it tuned in. Kicking butt now.