System Upgrade

This project was started on May 15, 2010. This is the first day.

As you all know i have been saying i am upgrading our system. The current system consist of the 265 Gal Reef with a 75 Gal sump/fuge. Anna's tank is a 24 Gal Nano.

We are building a fish room downstairs. In that room will be a 90 Gal sump, 75 Gal RDSB that can be taken off line easily if need be. Aslo there is going to be 3 frag tanks ( 2 ) 40 Gal breeders and a 30 breeder. There is going to be a 30 and 20 Gal fuge with different Macro's in them. Lastly a 10 Gal Xenia tank. I am hoping with the 2 fuges and the Xenia tanks nutrient export will be good.

There will be a Tiger Shark Pump feeding the 265 and Anna new 60 Gal. Cube. Also we will have a Reeflo Dart to feed frag tanks, RDSB,Fuges,reactors, UV's, everything except the 2 displays.

( Dave )My friend from Richmond Reef Club came up tonight and helped me get started by framing out the room. I will be running the electric wire tomorrow evening. I am going to have ( 3 ) 20 amp and ( 1 ) 30 amp circuit to the room. I am also running a heat and air conditioning line in the room. I am also running a exhaust fan to the outside of the house. The fan will be on a timer which will allow it to run for 15 minutes every hour.

003-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

Dave calling someone for advise. :roll:

007-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

Look at Dave sweat. Bet you never seen that before. :lol:

014-1.jpg

015.jpg

Thanks Dave for all your help. I owe you. Hope you enjoyed dinner. Framing is complete. More to come soon.

If anyone has any suggestions or commits please feel free to share them.

Lynn and Anna

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K., It has been going pretty slow on the tank upgrade. Thanks to Dave ( dtpollard ), William that is Tammy 125 husband, and Jay who came with Dave. Oh what a night it was, We got 5 sheets of Green Board hung. It seems that some of the walls were not plum. We had some crazy cutting to do on the green board. We made progress and i hope and pray the guys know how much i appreciate them coming up. Anna hopes you guys enjoyed dinner. Oh yeah this all happened yesterday ( 6/8/10 ).

Today another friend came over to do the rest of the work. What a quick job he did. He started at 4:15 PM and was gone at 6:30. He hung 5 sheets Green board and put the first coat of mud on. I could not believe how fast he was. Here is a few pics.

Air conditioning line i ran into the room.

065.jpg

Of course Dave was involved. THANKS DAVE. :thumbup:

067.jpg

Dave and Jay getting to work.

064.jpg

This is my other friend ( we call him Toad )

082-1.jpg

081-1.jpg

078.jpg

The Supervisor ( Anna )

075.jpg

085.jpg

073-1.jpg

Just gonna throw these in.

017-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

026-1.jpg

I also insulated the ceiling to hopefully stop some of the heat coming up stairs into the living room. Still a long ways to go, but we should have the walls painted this weekend and hopefully the floor put down.

So what we have is the electric run into the room, insulation, air condition, and Green board up and 1 coat of mud.

June 13th

Last coat of drywall mud applied today. YEA. My drywall guy cant get back until Tuesday to sand. Painting will be started on Wednesday. Hopefully next week we will start building the tank stands. That should only take a day.

June 15th

Dry wall is finished. Will start painting tomorrow, that should not take long at all. Then on to the tank stands. Stay tuned.

June 17th

Electric is all hooked up. Need to get paint completed so i can put the floor down. Here are a couple of pics of what it looks like as of now. Starting to get excited.

024-1-1.jpg

025-2.jpg

026-1-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

023-2.jpg

029-1.jpg

huh, so did you do any of the work or were you a "tool b%$#h" :clap:

I did a little, you know Anna wont let me sit around and watch everyone work. I will be getting in touch real soon about the Octopus Bubble Blaster Skimmer. We will see you guys soon.

I can't wait to watch the progress. I wish you lived closer so I could help.

I cant wait until it is completed. It has been a long wait. I wish you lived closer too. :rolleyes:

I think your addicted:) Next step is to build a coral green house.

Wish i could afford it, i would. Good thing about where i built the room i have plenty of space to expand if i want to. Is it bad to be a reefing junkie? :laugh:

Looks great. If you want to run that exhaust fan off an humidistat, I have a cheap one I bought at a surplus store that fits inside a normal size junction box.

Looks great. If you want to run that exhaust fan off an humidistat, I have a cheap one I bought at a surplus store that fits inside a normal size junction box.

We have decided not to use the exhaust fan. We are going to purchase a 50 or 70 pint a day De-humidifier.

We have decided not to use the exhaust fan. We are going to purchase a 50 or 70 pint a day De-humidifier.

just gotta remember to empty it lol and nice job so far keep up with the pictures

Everything is looking good but I am curious why you would have a need for a 30AMP circuit on a fish system?

That raises an eyebrow for sure.

Everything is looking good but I am curious why you would have a need for a 30AMP circuit on a fish system?

That raises an eyebrow for sure.

I ended up not going with the 30 amp. I ended up going with ( 4 ) 20 amp circuits. I was told by a person it would be a good idea to go with 30, but i realized i did not need it.

June 23rd.

Anna put 2 coats of paint on the Green board. We thought it might take a 3rd coat, but it did not need it. Pics coming soon. The floor goes down on Sat.. Sunday the tank racks get built. Busy weekend for sure. :eek:

what are you guys doing on the weekend of the 4th of July? I might be coming down your way to visit my dad on the lake.

Watch out for the dehumidifier, it pumps out a lot of hot air and in a small enclosed space it can cause a lot more evaporation in my experience. I ended up taking my dehumidifier out and went with the exhaust fan instead because it caused more problems than it solved.

Watch out for the dehumidifier, it pumps out a lot of hot air and in a small enclosed space it can cause a lot more evaporation in my experience. I ended up taking my dehumidifier out and went with the exhaust fan instead because it caused more problems than it solved.

+1 that is great advice.

I would love to go with the exhaust fan. Only problem is i have a brick house. I do not have the tools to do get the vent line to the outside. I know there are people on this forum with the know how but i live to far out for them to come down. I will have to see what i can do.

Well i put the glue down last night ( this morning ) 1:30 AM. Got up at 7:00 AM and started putting down the tiles. Was not hard at all. Here are a few pics of the painted room with the floor finished.

053.jpg

054.jpg

055-2.jpg

056-1.jpg

058-1.jpg

What a help Anna is. I owe her a lot, that is for just putting up with me.

(edited)

looking good guys, cant wait for the tank tour

You know you and anyone else is welcome anytime. It is hard to get people out here because we live out in the sticks. Just want you to know we have paved roads out here now.

Edited by lhcorals