Mantis Shrimps

jumpinjoker

I've got a small N. wennerae that I kept after it had hitchhiked in on some rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater 2-1/2 years ago. He's in his own 10 gallon tank tied into my main system. I don't see him much except during feeding. I kept him after I'd given a large one away that I caught, and "getting rid" of two others shortly afterward. I didn't have it in me, though, to "get rid" of this one, so he's led a captive life since then. He's not flashy, but he will come up and take a piece of shrimp when offered (using tongs). I feed him a couple of times a week (if he's lucky).

After 2-1/2 years, he's part of the "family." Try Roozens. They're close to you.

$50 might seem like a lot, but you are going to spend a lot more putting together a tank solely dedicated to the mantis shrimp itself. I hear they can break glass. That means if you want to be safe you will need a custom tank (NAGA builds acrylic tanks). Maybe get a really thick acrylic tank in a custom size. Somethig like 18"x18"x18" with a nice piece of rock in the center. Throw a par 38 with 60 or 80 degree optic right over the center since high light isn't necessary. Also, you will probably want an overflow http://www.glass-holes.com/Super-Nano-con-Dientes-Overflow-Kit-nanodienteskit.htm, even if it is very small. This will keep the heater and what not out of the water. You could even use the sump to store "food." I've never seen a mantis before, but if you get one you have to post some pics.

I had three different types. Kept them all in 10 gallon tanks w/ simple over the back filters, heater, and a NO fluorescent light. Substrate was CC w/ rubble. Cool critters, but start w/ a low maintenance/hardy one like N. wennerae.

I kept a big-ish chiragra (the hardest hitting one there is) in a 2.5 glass tank, and watched him hit the tiny, tiny glass hundreds of times.

While I do believe there have been cases where they have broken glass, I don't think there is any worry about it at all (and certainly not unless you have something that is getting close to a foot long in any case)

I have a G. Smithii (http://www.stomatopod.com/proddetail.php?prod=G.S.2) that I've kept for about 2 years now after he hitchhiked in on a peice of LR and then removed every invert from my 55g tank...:angry:

As much as I wanted to introduce it to Mr. Insinkerator, I held back and have grown fond of it. It's very interactive as it pokes its head and googily eyes out to watch me walk around the room. There's really something odd about independently articulating eyes . :blink:

I've hand fed him a couple of times, but don't do it regularly or recommend it. He's fun to watch especially when he eats and he even comes out of the rock to roam around the tank fairly regularly.

btw. If you get one, remove everything from the tank you don't want getting smashed. heater, thermometers, pumps, etc. I have a sand bed with several of the little beebees from a glass thermometer and whatever else was inside of it in the tank now thanks to Elian's curriosity...

Sorry man, I'm sure it wasn't at the time, but the end of that video was hilarious.

I started thinking it was funny as soon as I watched the video. I'm amazed I managed to catch it all on film.

I would like to add a Peacock Mantis to my refugium, which I just finished setting up. The refugium is in my sump, which use to be an old acrylic tank. The size is 16 x 13 x 12 with 5

Did that hurt?!?!?

It did indeed.

Wow!!! I have to ask, how much booze was involved to convince you to do that? :eek: Cool video!

Wow!!! I have to ask, how much booze was involved to convince you to do that? :eek: Cool video!

I had actually intended to pull my hand out at the last second and put text on the video that said "yeah, right!". But alas, I was too slow.

hah! what we do for the sake of entertainment!

$50 might seem like a lot, but you are going to spend a lot more putting together a tank solely dedicated to the mantis shrimp itself. I hear they can break glass. That means if you want to be safe you will need a custom tank (NAGA builds acrylic tanks). Maybe get a really thick acrylic tank in a custom size. Somethig like 18"x18"x18" with a nice piece of rock in the center. Throw a par 38 with 60 or 80 degree optic right over the center since high light isn't necessary. Also, you will probably want an overflow http://www.glass-holes.com/Super-Nano-con-Dientes-Overflow-Kit-nanodienteskit.htm, even if it is very small. This will keep the heater and what not out of the water. You could even use the sump to store "food." I've never seen a mantis before, but if you get one you have to post some pics.

Mantis shrimps don't break glass- it's a wives' tale. As far as using a PAR38 goes, these bulbs are the dfinition of high light.

They do just fine in any tank- even a 10 gallon. I've had numerous Peacocks over the years and have even had an 8" one that lived peacefully in my reef tank. He only ate snails and never bothered the fish.

There's a nice display at the National Aquarium in B'more- you should take a look.

There's a nice display at the National Aquarium in B'more- you should take a look.

I bet that the tank you are thinking of is in the Invert House at the National Zoo - unless someone just snuck one in a tank and didn't let anyone know, there are none at NAIB - or at the National Aquarium in DC or the Sant Hall of the Ocean... the Nat Zoo has a gorgeous large Peacock.

Jackie