What matters more dimensions or volume?

Shadowbearwv

This summer I'm looking into upgrading my 75g up to a 150g. I want the tank to be able to handle a tang, probably a sailfin or hippo. I'm leaning towards the Marineland deep dimension cube with dimensions of 36X36X27 or should I go with the standard rectangular they come in two flavors that I have seen 48x24x30 or 72x18x24?

Thanks

Tony

my opinion only but ... I've had a 30" tall tank and will never do it again - reaching stuff on/near the bottom of the tank is a pain! And I don't think the 27" would be that much better. Personally, I would find a 72x24x24 (180g) and go with that.

The larger the surface area of the tank the better for evaporation and gas exchange. I've had a 75 for years and wished I had more room than the 18" depth. Go with the marineland cube

This is a matter of personal preference really, but I'd go with at least 24" of width and at least 4' of length. The 180, at 72", is a good size.

Wider will give you more (front-to-back) visual depth for rock work and will be appreciated. You can get some additional visual depth even with a 24" wide tank if you have a tank built with an external overflow. You'll most likely find an 18" wide tank very restrictive insofar as visual depth. At 24" deep, you'll be up to your armpits keeping the panels clean. Deeper and you'll be working hard to get the to the bottom and might begin considering higher wattage lighting to light the bottom of the tank (for SPS).

I've suggested at least 48" of length for the grazers (like tangs).

Wow thanks for the responses. I really like the idea of the 180 72x24x24. I really do want to stick with a tank that has better gas exchange, hence the cube. I hadn't even thought about trying to reach the bottom. Now thinking about it reaching the bottom back could be a real pain. The only problem with the 72 inch is where to put it, new lighting and probably a new skimmer. Will have to find a wall big enough with the support I need. I'm starting to feel the empty wall in the living room needs some lovin. That and get my dining room back for an actual table.

Oh and no need to stop I'm open to more suggestions.

Thanks again!

Tony

Doing more searches I've found on Glasscages.com a 150g 48x30x25. That seems to hit the sweet spot of good surface area and not too tall. I've heard mixed reviews of glasscages. Anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks

Tony