My overflow construction

treesprite

Benefit would be surface skimming

^Yep, Calfo's theory is based on organics preference for the air-water interface, so having more surface area for the overflow box concentrates organics in the water that is going to the sump. Therefore organics in the water that can be skimmed are maximized in the protein skimmer's intake water.

Calfo has lots of theories. I think sufficient surface skimming can be accomplished without the full side to side overflow. Unless you have high enough flow the draw may not be enough to pull particles into the overflow which will keep them into the tank instead of going down to where the skimmer is at.

Water tested and found no leaks in the overflow. I need to go to the store for Krylon Fussion paint now, but I really wish there was a brush-on version, because spray painting on a balcony is difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

With my pump dialed down (flow was too high), the overflowing water's surface, at line of overflow, is roughly 1/4th" higher than the top edge of the overflow glass. That should be enough for fair sized particles to get swept over.

I drilled a little hole in each of the outputs to break suction, not realizing that doing it on the sections of pipe that are inside the overflow (horizontal) would cancel out having them there. When the pump is off, the water goes into the outputs and comes out of the little holes into the overflow, and then through the drain holes into the sump. I covered those holes and now have to drill holes in a different place.

• 2 weeks later...

Another benefit - shimmer not usually associated with T-5 lighting.

It's working out ok to have the returns go through the overflow, but for looks they are way too low. If I could do it over, I'd figure out how to put half-circles in the top edge and rest the returns on those (sealed with silicone).

I'm almost tempted to try it when I move, before I put everything back in the tank, so let me ask, how would a person put half-holes in the top of a piece of glass?