T5's or LEDs to Supplement my MH's?

mchippo

I recently purchased 2 - 48" Reef Illumination MH/T5/LED light units for my Reef Tank. I have had them about 3 months now and have noticed better coral growth and color over the Aqua-Medic's they replaced. Plus - the LED's make the tank "pop" at night...really cool.

My only complaint with the Reef Illumination units is the distance between the two MH fixtures in each unit is a bit more than most lights. On my tank, where they run end to end, this concentrates the brightest light at either end of the tank and directly in the middle where two MH's fixtures (one from each light) come together. I can definitely see where the coral is growing better in these three locations (left end, center and right end) over the middle left and middle right of the tank....

So...I think I would like to supplement the light in these two areas but don't know if I should go with T5's or LED's. I am thinking about two 36" 54 watt units (2 bulbs ea)...one for each side of the tank...

What do you think? Any recommendations? I appreciate the help....

• 3 months later...

T5's all day long. Even with just my T5's on there is ZERO difference when the blue LED's come on. In other words they can't be seen unless I have them stand alone, which I do like that look as well.

Here's a different perspective-

Build your reef structure to take advantage of these high light areas and put low light corals or open water in the darker spots. It'll look better and save you some money in the long run.

Eventually you'll make the switch to LED, until then work the system that you have built.