sticker says "do not drill". .but tank is drilled

treesprite

I was planning to drill this tank today, but now that I just finished cleaning it up, I see that instead of saying the bottom is tempered, the bottom warning label says "do not drill glass enclosure". Well, this tank already has been drilled on the back and I assumed it was a home DIY job, so I assumed I would be able to drill a second hole.... not sure what to think now. I don;t have a way to reach Martin and there's no manufacture ID on the tank. I also have no polarized lenses laying around.

Any thoughts?

Someone posted another way to figure out if glass is tempered; like holding it up to a laptop screen or something.

bob

Someone posted another way to figure out if glass is tempered; like holding it up to a laptop screen or something.

bob

Interesting suggestion, but no laptop, and besides, I'm not strong enough to hold a 75g tank up to anything,... best I can do is turn it on it's side and shove it across the carpet.

I was looking through Martin's old posts - he has the tank listed as an AGA

Check out this link for more info. You can use a camera with a polarized lens.

http://www.salt-city...read.php?t=9542

Nice article. I would still need some kind of polarized lens. I wonder if a pair of 3-d glasses would work?

When they make a tank with a drilled hole, and tempered glass, they drill the hole, then tmeper the glass... so any atempt at drilling after that will not work. However, what you may have is a tank with a tempered bottom, but non-tempered sides. That was the "norm" for a long time.

When they make a tank with a drilled hole, and tempered glass, they drill the hole, then tmeper the glass... so any atempt at drilling after that will not work. However, what you may have is a tank with a tempered bottom, but non-tempered sides. That was the "norm" for a long time.

Is it possible for someone to get lucky and not have a tempered tank shatter when drilling it? There are too many imperfections in the hole for me to believe it's a factory hole. The inner edge is rough and there are tiny chips along the outside edge where a drill would have been applied.

Is it possible for someone to get lucky and not have a tempered tank shatter when drilling it?

It would depend on the degree at which the glass was tempered. If it wasn't done correctly the internal pressure may not be up to standard.

Once glass is properly tempered there is very little that you can do to it. It will not take being drilled and once the point is created that will relieve the internal pressure it will shatter.

Are you only drilling another hole for a return? If so, just loop it with pvc over the back and use some loc-line. use the drilled hole for your overflow.

Are you only drilling another hole for a return? If so, just loop it with pvc over the back and use some loc-line. use the drilled hole for your overflow.

I need a second drain hole, PLUS I possibly could hook directly to my Gen X to get it out of the sump instead of adding HEAT to the tank.

75g AGA tanks are tempreed on the bottom only according to their website.

Wow, thanks for checking! It doesn't say AGA on it - Martin has in a post that it's AGA. I worry in that situation because I think some people think AGA just means glass aquarium, not a company (have seen the mistake on boards).

I tried the 3-d glasses on my car window which I know is tempered (the glasses were in the car) - definitely could see the pattern in the glass. I brought them in the house and can't see any pattern on tank glass, but not even on the bottom, so maybe the lighting is preventing me from seeing it indoors.

I think if you are doing it without a polarized light source - you need to pop the lenses out and look through both of them. Something like that. Sunlight is fairly well polarized to start with - so you would see the pattern in the car windshield in sunlight. Look for good, concise instructions with pictures.

bob

I went ahead for the ultimate test and drilled the hole - no shattering. Dang drill kept slipping on me trying to get the hole started, so my start angel was too deep which threw me off keeping the drill straight, so the hole was angled, and I got a large flat/thin chip on the inside of the tank because I drilled from inside not out, then discovered that the bulkhead wouldn't go in because of the angle, then had to flip the tank back over and try to touch up the edges a bit so the bulkhead would fit.....

Anyway, now the job is done and I need to put in an overflow. Bought a bunch of silicone when I went to buy fans....

I'm glad you got it finished! clap.gif

Using a jig makes it a little easier to keep centered and straight. Just take a piece of wood or plywood and drill a hole in it to match your diamond bit.

I'm glad you got it finished! clap.gif

Using a jig makes it a little easier to keep centered and straight. Just take a piece of wood or plywood and drill a hole in it to match your diamond bit.

I think about that every time I drill a tank, but I don't want to have to buy the hole saw to make it. Maybe it's worth reducing risk, though.

Now I have a glass bit used once that I'll never use again....

Now I have a glass bit used once that I'll never use again....

Hang on to it because as soon as you get rid of it, you will need it. wink.gif

When I drilled my tank I used a jig made out of just cardboard. I didn't want to have to buy a new large wood bit just to drill one hole. It worked simple enough, just traced the outside of the diamond bit then cut with scissors. It held up even while submerged in water. Once you get the cut started the bit won't walk around anymore so you can remove it. Just a tip I thought I'd share even tho yours is already cut, maybe it will help someone else.

well thats excenlent news :) when are you going to have a tank moving party!

well thats excenlent news :) when are you going to have a tank moving party!

Just moving from one tank to the other is all. I have been planning to move since last fall and things just haven't worked out to make it happen.