Bristle Worms

jumpinjoker

I think I saw a little bristleworm in one of the holes in my live rock. Is it good or should I get rid of it?

I think I saw a little bristleworm in one of the holes in my live rock. Is it good or should I get rid of it?

They're good scavengers and won't really do any damage, but boy are they ugly little critters.

A few bristle worms is a good thing, but an infestation is disgusting and scary. My old 45g had crushed coral in it, and it was infested with bristle worms. The crushed coral was a perfect home for them, and at night they were all over the tank walls, crawling all over the liverock, and I even found them inside the Fluval filter I was using back then. I switched from CC to sand and that was the end of the infestation.

if you soak 'em overnight in lime juice, the bristles drop off. lightly bread them with flour and throw 'em in the deep fryer for 30 seconds and they tast great. I had this 'delicacy' in Costa Rica, but haven't had the cojones to actually make the recipe at home.

if you soak 'em overnight in lime juice, the bristles drop off. lightly bread them with flour and throw 'em in the deep fryer for 30 seconds and they tast great. I had this 'delicacy' in Costa Rica, but haven't had the cojones to actually make the recipe at home.

mmm tasty...lol

Maybe we could serve those at the next meeting.

I'll bring the potato salad. LOL.

wow you ate something that could sting all the way down your esphagus:) points to you!

"f you soak 'em overnight in lime juice, the bristles drop off. lightly bread them with flour and throw 'em in the deep fryer for 30 seconds and they tast great. I had this 'delicacy' in Costa Rica, but haven't had the cojones to actually make the recipe at home. "

If you need some large ones to try, LMK I have 3 5-7" ones in my QT right now! :laugh: