my DIY tank screen top

El Camaron

you will need the following

custom window kit = $10 ( cut to size )

bird block net = 8 (i have lots of this if anyone close needs some)

scissors

saw

measuring tape

pencil

029-6.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032-3.jpg

033-4.jpg

034-5.jpg

035-5.jpg

036-4.jpg

037-2.jpg

038-3.jpg

looking good, nice DIY pics as well.

i need to do this at some point ive just been lazy. Is that netting small enough to stop most fish, hard to get an idea for its size, i know i had some for gardening that a crow could have flown thru, well i know our box turtle got thru it to freedom (was rescued from a landfill my wife was testing and found some bad stuff i hope turbo is doing good)

can you even notice shadows at all from the screen

p.s. nice LEDs i may have to come over and steal some screen just to see the tank

Edited by Der ABT

it literaly took me 15 minutes to build, finding the stuff at home depot was not as bad but the bird block they only sell in huge rolls so i bought the cheapest one and well i used less than 3 feet of it, i have a bunch left.

I did not notice any shadows from it, from what i had before it is an improvement.

your welcome to stop by to get some and check out the tank.

Very nice DIY, should also help for people who have "jumpers" in their tanks.

How big are the squares? Are they small enough to stop smaller fish such as firefish, etc from getting through?

Home depot around my way did not have it but the black one looks much better plus i have tons of it for free if you need some for your tank top screen project.

Nice detailed DIY you did, thanks for sharing. Does anyone know where you can get the clear netting at?

I got mine from the guy at this thread:

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/drygoods-sale-trade/51678-fs-1-4-square-clear-polypropylene-mesh-screen-tops-reasonable-price.html

I emailed him and had 1/4" clear mesh in a few days for cheap.

Home depot around my way did not have it but the black one looks much better plus i have tons of it for free if you need some for your tank top screen project.

Thanks for the offer but I have some black, I just wanted the clear.

http://www.reefsanct...able-price.html

Thanks for the link.

Do you think you could paint the trim black? Is there a paint that is safe? I really like how it looks... and the price tag ;)

I think they have that screening in black at home depot.

When I got mine, they had the framing in white and brown. The actual kit that has the corner pieces and splining(?) only came in white though, so I got that. I painted it with several coats of Krylon Fusion high gloss black. I've used the same paint for years now on various tank-related things, both in and around the tank, and I've never had a problem. Once it dries, it's inert. Just make sure you give it time to fully dry.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/drygoods-sale-trade/51678-fs-1-4-square-clear-polypropylene-mesh-screen-tops-reasonable-price.html

Good call stew, but, remember everyone, small fish can even get through a 1/4" hole. My diamond made it through 1/4". I could imagine bigger fish just making it through and or getting stuck. When I made mine, like above a year ago, I went to the fabric store and looked for some stuff like bridal vail. Though it was not bridal vail, it was something else. Very small holes and very thin and NOTHING will get out while letting 90% light through.

Also remember to put that little tab of fabric in there so you can grab on that to pull it out, otherwise you might rip the screening trying to get your fingers around the frame when pulling it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Good call stew, but, remember everyone, small fish can even get through a 1/4" hole. My diamond made it through 1/4". I could imagine bigger fish just making it through and or getting stuck. When I made mine, like above a year ago, I went to the fabric store and looked for some stuff like bridal vail. Though it was not bridal vail, it was something else. Very small holes and very thin and NOTHING will get out while letting 90% light through.

Also remember to put that little tab of fabric in there so you can grab on that to pull it out, otherwise you might rip the screening trying to get your fingers around the frame when pulling it out.

Any chance you have a picture of yours? We had glass tops for the past 2 years, after our first diamond jumped. Broke one of them in the tank move (hated them anyway) and I wanted to go with screen. I want another diamond though, and agree with the 1/4" being too large.