RODI shutoff advice.

dbartco

So I got a different ro shutoff than I used to have. one of these 2 in, 2 out looking deals like many have. Hooked the unit up per the instructions. ro seems to work fine, but when the float valve closes, the unit make a lot of noise, the output wastewater slows, but it does not completely shut off. Darn water running all night last night.

Advice?

If the shutoff valve is an electric solenoid, it should have an arrow on it indicating the flow direction. If the water flows the wrong way they will not shut off entirely and make an annoying humming noise.

If you still have trouble with leaking and noise after you reverse the flow, take it apart and lubricate it with plumbers grease.

If it is connected right then it seems the valve is not getting enough back pressure to operate. That could be caused by a flow restrictor not sized right or working properly, fouled RO membrane, clogged prefilters reducing pressure, bad shut off valve, incoming water pressure is too low.

Hey Doug,

Sometimes these shut off valves do take a few runs to make it work properly. The air trapped inside the valve takes some time to purge.

Doug,

Are you talking about having installated a Auto-Shut-off-valve like this one:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/WB-CV0201W-C/ASOV-Auto-shut-off-valve.html

If so:

1. needs to be installed correctly: In (from water source) Out (to unit) Tank / Tank (Out from unit and to resivoir)

2: you must have a check valve after the RO unit and before the ASOV

3: you must have sufficent water pressure and clean enough pre-filter carts to x-fer that water pressure to the shutoff (if the ASOV is after the prefilter carts on the way in

The noise is the unit attempting to shut off (or as it turns on) a presure tank can help. I'm betting you have poor water pressure.

Poor water pressure or clogged filters (both do the same thing)

Mine acted the same way till I changed out my filters.

Had the same thing happen with waster water not shutting off. I do not even want to look at my water bill. I just turn the whole thing off now when not in use.

Same thing happened to mine. On well water with not the greatest water presure. No mater if it had new filters or old. Ended up not using the float valve and putting on a electric level sensor switch and an electric shut off valve. Got them from BRK. Now works great. Only problem is it is not very efficent on the good water to waste water ratio. I will solve that problem with a booster pump when I get the funds.

It is the one you pictured Phil.

I double checked my connections and all seems properly connected. Went over it with Craig to verify. I double checked the flow restrictor for clogging.

All new prefilters, carbon, and ro membrane.

I do not have a check valve on the the output of the ro. ?? never had before. I have one somewhere T'll try.

Have not taken a pressure reading. On ciyy water though. OK town water, Purcellville ain't no city. :) Can check that tonight. Old one was working fine, but I took it off and have no idea where the connections to that were. Need to take a pic cause there was some "T" on it...

Thanks for the suggestions all...

I have found that Spectrapure has great manuals with clear and concise hook-up diagrams in the text that can be very helpful (for any system). Look under the 'Level Controllers' section and go through those to check which one is similar to your setup.

There are different kinds of check valves including those that are in an 90 degree elbow that would get connected to the membrane housing. Looks like Spectapure recommends a 1 lb check valve at that point.